Bonaire, Is it worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

!!*&#%&^@!! you Web Monkey, you just made my PBD flair up big time.....wheres an Amstel....:)

The diving will spoil you for life,,,,DO NOT go unless you plan to return there every year that you dive....I am not joking..much. I will be in BON Sept>29 - Oct.13, this will be my 9th trip in 6 years. I have stayed at many places. If you are Nitrox certified some of the dive operators now offer a free nitrox upgrade to your dive package, Unlimited shore diving will cost you all of $ 125.00 per week....still a few bargans in this world. Where ever you stay, do not get the boat package...wait and check it all out when you get there as far as boat dives go, GET the pickup truck, that will get you to some 60 or so named sites on the island of which 90% or better are accessible by shore. I currently stay at the BelMar, just my choice these days.....check these links.......

Jimmy

http://www.infobonaire.com/

http://www.bonairetalk.com/

!!*&#%&^@!! you Web Monkey, you just made my PBD flair up big time.....wheres an Amstel....:)

If you need another fix, click here and pick the "Bonaire Pix" menu :D

Be careful, there are flamingos, donkeys and iguanas, so you might have to go back soon. :D

Also, I put them up in high res as well as medium. If you want desktop wallpaper, just click on the medium image.

Terry

After a day of diving and a night dive I'd much rather have a couple of refreshing beverages with my girl friend and watch the sun set.

or this..
sunset%20cactus.JPG

Hi:

I was there once with my wife & friend a week in March '07. My thoughts in brief:

1.) Shore diving whenever, wherever you & your buddy want without having the book it is wonderful.

2.) For shore diving, don't put your fins on until you wade out to around waist deep water, then put them on. Take them off on your way out at about the same depth. This is common sense to some of you but I'd been taught that for shore entry you put your fins on & try to talk in backwards. Yeah, sure, on gradually sloping smooth sand maybe. But Bonaire entries are a bit rocky. This tip from my scuba instructor made a huge difference for us.

3.) One day, up in the day when it's nice & sunny, hit Washington-Slagbaii (? spelling) Park and take some beautiful scenic photos.

4.) One day, up in the day, take a dive across the rural countryside down south. Maybe you'll see a flamingo; we say 2 or 3 this way. Get out & try to catch a lizard. Take some scenery shots.

5.) One day, browse the gift shops.

6.) On varied evenings, eat at Richard's, Will's Grill (if I recall the name right) & Papaya Moon.

7.) Walk along the beach at night with a flash light & see what you can see coming around.

8.) We didn't see a lot of big stuff, but some. Tarpon aren't all over the place but dive the Hilma Hooker & you should see a few. My friend & I saw a large green moray on the sea floor by the wreck, too. We saw 2 small green sea turtles & a small school of small barracuda on other dives. Once at the surface my buddy spotted a pod of dolphin in the distance. Big parrot fish are common & colorful site. I saw the tail of what was likely a large spotted moray sticking out. My friend found a large octopus in a hole.

9.) We stayed at Eden Beach Resort; really liked it.

10.) Loved it & hope to go again.

I've noticed on this forum people who want more night life but still good shore diving tend to get referred to Curacao. I haven't been.

Richard.

Herman,

Ok..ok, I'll add a little "fuel" to the fire:

My idea of a traffic jam/congestion:

Attachments

• bonaire traffic congestion.jpg
    bonaire traffic congestion.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 73
Just back from a week at Bonaire..
Here are some pictures.. judge for yourself if it is worth it.
95% of the U/W pix were taken at the house reef right in front of our room at Den Laman.. Bari Reef.
Link >> Bonaire Sep 07

Regards
Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom