Bonaire info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawgfish

Reaction score
Planning first trip to Bonaire.
I neeed some clarification as to the term I keep reading in all the dive op advertising -"unlimited tanks". Does this mean as many tanks as you want at one time? What are the restrictions?To use on the hotel property, or take elsewhere? Do hotels allow you to use other ops tanks on their property? If you are staying at one hotel can you buy a dive package from another op and use those tanks wherever? Is this considered bad manners?
I am trying to decide if it is easier to just use the dive package at the hotel, or shop around for a better deal?
Any advice on this is most welcome.

means "unlimited diving" - the tanks are available for your use at all times - with slight variations from one place to another.
If I may use Lion's Dive or Buddy's as examples, if you want to make a couple of dives before lunch then you drive up to the drive-thru tank farm and put two tanks each in your rental vehicle and go make your two dives, then bring the tanks back to the drive-thru, where you pick up more for the afternoon. If you want to make some night dives you tell the shop and they set out however many tanks you want for the night. Where you dive doesn't matter. They do ask that you take only two tanks apiece at a time, which assures a steady flow of tanks back to the fill station. If you're headed out to the park for the whole day then they don't mind your taking three apiece.
Rick

At each resort we have stayed the tank program has differed a little BUT for the most part you can use as many tanks as needed for shore diving. And if your going to be out diving up or down the coast it is expected to take extras.

You can stay at one resort and dive out of another but it is alittle less convient that way. We did some night dives with another resort and everything went fine.

The boat dives are where the cost adds up. But usually your package has some included.

Ron

To add to what Rick and Ron have said, the resort operators on Bonaire are pretty easy to get along with. Don't block their drive ways or be a pain and they don't mind you diving off their dock. It is considered good manners to ask first however. As for finding a better price, as best as I can tell, all of the resorts dive packages are within a few dollars of each other. I find it's just easier to get everything at one place, keeps me from having to drive from the resort to the dive op to pick up tanks. Besides, if you are like us, we do a lot of dives off the resort dock. We have stayed at Buddy Dive www.buddydive.com for the last 2 years and are returning in June. You will want/need a vehicle on Bonaire. The best ones we have found are the 4 dr mini trucks. they handle 4 adults nicely and as much gear as you need...they also do much better in the park than a car or van. Take a look at the "dive and drive" package Buddy has, it includes all you need, breakfast buffet (very good I might add) a fully furnished condo, 4 dr truck, airport pickup and unlimited airfills (ul nitrox for $100 more). We do not take the 6 boat dives as part of the package, there are just too many shore dives we like to do and if we do decide to take a boat, you can always get dives at $20/dive or buy the package after you get there. By the way, there is a $10 marine park pass and a $20 exit tax.

unlimited means just what it says :) you can dive all you want and there are always tanks there to use. As you travel around the island you will see small yellow painted rocks, these are dive sites. I think there are 88 marked ones. We did as many as 4 dives a day, and then only stopped because residuals were getting up there. If you can keep it shallower than we did you can do more. We used the tanks from our hoters dive shop, although the dive shops are operated independantly of the hotel mostly. the vehicles even have tank holders in them! Is truly a divers paradise. I have to tell you of one site, KARPATA this is prolly the nicest site i found on the island. klien bonaire was nice too, boat accessable only. any other ?'s just drop me an email and i will reply just put scuba in subject:jester:

Thanks to all who took the time for the helpful replies.
All thoughts, facts or tips are much appreciated , as we are looking forward to a great trip.

Has anyone that has been to Bonaire recently stayed at the Carib, Bruce Bowkers Inn, I'm not sure thats the the correct spelling. Any info? Thanks, Hawgfish.

I really like the people at the Carib Inn and always visit while we are in Bonaire every year. The only problem I can see is that, unless things have changed, they only issue you one tank for your stay. Each time you want it filled, you have to return to Carib Inn. We are use to using Buddy Dive, Lion Dive or Wannadive, and they all let you take as many tanks as you want. Also, Wannadive charges a little less for 6 days unlimited air--$90.00. All of them have Nitrox available. We will be in Bonaire this year for 5 weeks at Lion Dive, and plan to do some diving with Wannadive located at Eden Beach and City Cafe. If you have any questions about any of the dive sites, just drop an email. This will be our 8th. trip to Bonaire, so we know the dive sites pretty well. Have fun, Ksnooks

Thanks, the Caribs policy has not changed. If you chose to use another op while staying at the Carib, can you keep the tanks overnight for a night or dawn dive?

KS,

I heard a rumor that Bart (Wannadive)was working out of the Sand Dollar dive shop. Not sure but he may be at both places. Source was pretty reliable but not for sure.

Back
Top Bottom