Bonaire - How?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have taken Continental from Austin through IAH into Aruba and then hop over. We used ALM before, but plan to take BonaireExcel in February when we go. The IAH to Aruba flight only runs a couple of times a week, I believe Saturdays and Wednesdays and it is always around to $900 or more. That is why we use Onepass miles to go (35,000 coach, 60,000 first) Also, as the flight gets in about 8:30PM, its a pretty sure bet that you will have to overnight in Aruba, as I have not found any later flights over.

We have also taken American through SJU. You can get through in one day from Austin, but they have limited the number of days that the flights run and it is usually around $900. Once again, we used American miles to go this past Christmas.

Two years ago, we were able to work a combination of Continental Austin to Miami and American to Bonaire for about $400 per person, but I think those days are gone.

rjchandler:
ALM? Been awhile? :wink:

original poster -- I'm sure you can get there from Houston (drive there if you have to). I think Air Jamaica flies out of there.
Continental flies to Aruba - bonaire excel from there.

Yes it has been, went so many times got tired of it. Is that possible? I assume by your comment they no longer exist. I guess there is no easy way to get there from here. Sorry for the mis-information. Just trying to help.

ALM still exists, only they were renamed and now go by Dutch Caribbean Arlines...

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, but you can't complete a whole itinerary through Continental to Bonaire on line. My understanding is that you can do this on the phone as they are codesharing with BonaireExcel, but they only do it if you purchase the entire flight. They would not sell us the Aruba to Bonaire legs only. Otherwise these flights are available on Travelocity only, not Orbitz.

rjchandler:
Nothing like starting the morning with a fight.

There aint a restaraunt in "hey tourist - how about a t-shirt and Taco" Cozumel that compares with restaurants in Bonaire.

Diving's alright there if you want to go where the boat wants to go when it wants to go and never stop to see any thing.

So, you've been to every restaurant on Cozumel? ;^)

Cozumel is definitely not all like that. It's not even mostly like that; you just have to know where not to go. Most of the places I eat when I am there, you won't find a taco on the menu or a Tshirt for sale. But I don't have a clue as to the available eateries on Bonaire; why don't you enlighten me?

The dive ops I go with on Cozumel take me where I want to go (well, me and the other 4 or 5 divers aboard). If the diving at Bonaire beats, say, the Cathedral at Punta Sur, then I'm all ears.

Cheers,

>But I don't have a clue as to the available eateries on Bonaire; why don't you enlighten me?

Casablanca, it rains fishes, Donna & Giorgio's for pizza. Surprisingly we also had a great meal at the restaurant at Captain Don's resort - great view at night and you can feed the tarpon from your table. I also heard good things about Chibi Chibi

They all run on "island time" though so plan more dinner time accordingly. Actually everything runs on island time.

If you're still looking for a flight, it's either Air Jamaica from Houston with a stop in Montego Bay or AA through Dallas with a longer (for me anyway) stopover in San Juan.

There's whole sections on flights, lodging, diving and restaurants on the bonairetalk.com site forum.

Steve

If you know of good restaurants on Bonaire ...Please list them.I may enjoy Bonaire diving a bit more..but to sayBonaire has better restaurants.Well ( unless you can list 5-10 good,affordable resaurants on Bonaire) I can name 25 different amazing to good places on Cozumel. PS I don`t mean resorts, but if they are good on Bonaire.. please list.Kind regards from Ca :crafty:
rjchandler:
Nothing like starting the morning with a fight.

There aint a restaraunt in "hey tourist - how about a t-shirt and Taco" Cozumel that compares with restaurants in Bonaire.

Diving's alright there if you want to go where the boat wants to go when it wants to go and never stop to see any thing.

415Gem & texas-buzzard,

I don't know if you noticed, but the thread you are posting to is about 6 months old.

You may want to do a search for more currrent info here in the Greater Caribbean & Bahamas forum.

BTW, I'm off to Bonaire this Wed! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom