Bonaire from Calgary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering if there are any fellow Canucks out there that have made their way from the Calgary area to Bonaire. We are looking to go in Feb/March 07 and the traditional travel searches through Calgary are $$. We are within driving distance of Spokane or Seattle. Any suggestions would be great.

Continental has a direct flight from Calgary to Houston and a direct flight from Houston to Bonaire. I don't know if you can make the connections work, but when we were in Bonaire in March, alot of the resort guest went through Houston.

DocVikingo:
Hi snowdiver,

Contact Judy at jg@awoosh.com and tell her I sent you. She may have some ideas.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks for replying. The address you included didn't work unfortunately so I am still pretty much where I started..

Back to the big search engine :shakehead

Continental through Houston would be the best route, it is a red-eye and only flies once a week (not sure Sat. maybe). The other options are America Airlines through San Juan, Air Jamaica through Montego Bay or any airline to Aruba or Curacao then DAE or Divi Divi to Bonaire.

It will be far cheaper to wait until late April through May, after spring break is over.

Actually, if you want to go in Feb/Mar timeframe, the least expensive way is to fly into Curacao from Calgary (red eye flights), then hop over on divi air. The cost during the peak of the high season is decent from Calgary at about $1,000 per person (believe me, it is costing some folks between $1,000 and $1,500 from Houston on Continental) then the $100 RT fare from Curacao to Bonaire. The cost on Continental is about $1,200 from Calgary. I check mid April and mid May and it's only about $100.00 less per person. I think the flight through Houston is worth the money considering the flying times. Everything out there is expensive right now. I think the reasons are 2 fold. I think one is because it is high season, and secondly, one of the largest determination of pricing for airlines is not only availability, but fuel prices. I think if they can get Continental for $1,200 per person for Feb/Mar...that is good.

Liz

My boyfriend went to Bonaire last fall and they took the milk run - bus to Seattle, Chicago or Houston, Puerto Rico to Bonaire. He loved the diving in Bonaire but that trip was brutal and took forever. Well worth it to avoid too many stops! I made it to Australia faster than he did to Bonaire!! We're thinking of going again so I've been searching, and believe me, I know all the travel sites (but Canada is sadly lacking in Dive specific travel). The Canadian sites (escapes, itravel2000 etc) are the best for all-inclusive packages, but for air to Bonaire they are super expensive. Expedia (.com or .ca) has flights on Continental from Seattle (they're a couple hundred more from Vancouver) to either Houston or Newark then direct to Bonaire. If you book directly through Continental they have good deals from Seattle (or Spokane), but you will pay DOUBLE to leave from a Canadian city. I just saw under $1000 US for the beginning of Feb. Do shop around! Good luck!

Get to Seattle, Continental Friday afternoon ~1:30, arrives Bonaire via Houston at ~6:00 am Saturday. Leave following Saturday morning on outbound version, back to Seattle by evening.

What about a red eye to Aruba then DAE to Bonaire? Just another option. I checked the Continental flight from Seattle to Bonaire the end of Feb to the beginning of March and it's a little over $1.000 RT. Remember you are looking to flying during high season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom