Bonaire - Frog Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rodraid

Registered
Reaction score
We are heading to Bonaire in two weeks and I would like to see a Frog Fish. Which dive sites are known to have Frog Fish?

Thanks,
Rod

Ask the staff at the dive shop you are using. They can help.
My experience is that they are so hard to see you may have to dive with someone to point them out to you. That was the case with me.

Herman and I did a dive and he was taking pictures of one and they are so hard to see that we did not see the second one until he noticed it in his picture. Did not see it at the actual time!

Last edited:
I agree with Deputy Dan, that the guides know where they are (Linda Baker is the best IMHO), but there are a couple sites that we've been able to find them pretty reliably.
Something Special
Yellow Submarine
Front Porch.

THose three sites have turned up frogs on all five of our Bonaire trips

These things are really hard to see. Here is the one DD was talking about. We knew exactly where they were and found the larger gray female after much searching but I never saw the smaller orange male until I looked at the photos. We had to of visited the spot a dozen times. Don't be mislead by the photos. The strobe adds back a lot of color that is missing under water. To the human eye without external light, female was exactly dead on the same color as the reef. It reminded me of the posters that were popular years ago that looked like a jumble of colors until it came into focus and the image appeared.

normal_P7290012web%7E0.jpg

got this one two days before the one under the pier. as the other responder said, let the guides help. he pointed this one out and i still never saw it. checked on the way back to the boat and he pointed it out again and i could finally see it. pictures make it look like they are easy to see, but without artificial light, they match their surroundings perfectly. you'll love bonaire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• bonaire 017.jpg
    bonaire 017.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 786
I saw two on Bari Reef and one at Red Beryl when I was there.

I really appreciate all of comments and locations you have seen Frog fish. I have only seen one and that was in Curacao.

We have booked some boats dives so maybe the local DM will find one and show me. I am not for sure my eyes will be able to spot one.

Another question: Does anyone know if there is a place showing this coming UFC fight between Lesnar-Carwin?:popcorn:

Keep the dive sites coming!

Thanks,
Rod

We just got back from diving Klein this morning. On the second dive at Keepsake we saw four different Frogfish, and also a seahorse. A very nice dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom