Bonaire Final Trip Planning - double check and advice on dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you arrive on the island, hit the Van Den Tweel market. Buy some large bottles of water. Drink a little out of a few bottles and freeze them.
The only thing I do a bit differently is buy diet cokes. Since the water on the island is good I just save all my empty plastic bottles and fill from the tap. In fact I save the empty bottles I buy at the two airports on my flights down. For rinse water we use larger 2 liter bottles or any large plastic bottles and just toss them in the bed of the truck unless it’s a very hot day, then they can actually get too warm.

But hopefully most people are not the cokaholics that I am. Either way make sure you reuse those plastic bottles with tap water and limt the plastic waste.

Kharon. Actually my count is restrained. Living on the island and also volunteering with Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire, I can assure you that 50-100 on the East coat, specifically at Turtle City, is a common sight - far from “bogus”.

Got me. I have to see the turtles this trip. Such a congregation was unbelievable but when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I hope diving with East Coast isn't too strenuous for this old codger.

Not true. Dive Friends Bonaire only does boat dives to Klein Bonaire and the northern boat-only sites with mooring pins. They typically don't go to shore dive sites on the main island. More info here. Also, unless something has changed recently, DFB doesn't mix their regular dive operations with their cruise excursions, which I believe are mostly shore-only nowadays.

Yes, most certainly true. Boat dives with DFB - Nov. 30, 2016 - 10:00am - Bon BIni Na Cas - can dive from shore from 1000 steps entry. Nov 30, 2016 12:00pm - Kalli's Reef - boat and shore, has a beach entry. And, YES with the exception of myself the boat was all cruise ship divers with horrible buoyancy and complete lack of respect for the reef. The Cap and DM both appologized for the sites and the dive quality, as well as for the other divers off a cruise ship.

==> Ignore

I guarantee most of the truck keys on the island have seen more bottom time than anyone on this board!
My most recent rental had an electronic key fob and a little cylindrical (rounded ends) container to put it in for diving.

Kharon. Actually my count is restrained. Living on the island and also volunteering with Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire, I can assure you that 50-100 on the East coat, specifically at Turtle City, is a common sight - far from “bogus”.

OK - I'm wrong. Actually glad I'm wrong for several reasons, not the least of which is I need to see the turtles. Hope East Side isn't too much for an old fogey.

OK - I'm wrong. Actually glad I'm wrong for several reasons, not the least of which is I need to see the turtles. Hope East Side isn't too much for an old fogey.

East Coast Diving uses a very custom deep-v military grade zodiac-like boat. Back roll entries and ladder exits, they actually deflate an inflatable section for diver retrieval. Boat ride from the dock is fast (~10mins) such that you actually come back to unload empty bottles and pick up full ones for a second dive.

Ride and surface swells can be bouncy for about a minute or two but they use this boat and it’s engines to the max and know how to get through it like champs.

The only thing I do a bit differently is buy diet cokes. Since the water on the island is good I just save all my empty plastic bottles and fill from the tap. In fact I save the empty bottles I buy at the two airports on my flights down. For rinse water we use larger 2 liter bottles or any large plastic bottles and just toss them in the bed of the truck unless it’s a very hot day, then they can actually get too warm.

But hopefully most people are not the cokaholics that I am. Either way make sure you reuse those plastic bottles with tap water and limt the plastic waste.

Buy your cokes at Bondigro (about a block west of VDT). 35 can cases usually for about $13 ... great mixer for the local island rum - Rom Rincon (award winner and fantastic) which you can get at VDT.

Will be on island same time. Favorite dive is the one I'm on. Seriously, I try to enjoy each dive for what it offers, not what I wish it offered. Yes on the water bottles - throw a couple big ones in truck bed to warm during your dive. Partially unscrew cap to allow for expansion. Freeze half filled bottles, top with tap as you walk out and enjoy ice water post dive. Did see someone have gloves confiscated last trip. Dive Op Dir caught her coming out of water...ooopppsss. We did East Coast shore dives w/ Bas Tol, amazing! I also hear good things about VIP.

Nope, not bogus. That East Coast dive to Turtle City is awesome.

Turtle City is so busy because the turtles come out from feeding in Lac bay, and go chill out in Turtle City afterwards. Last time I dived there we stopped counting at 40 or so. Turtles abound!

Some of my favorite dive sites are down south - more sponges and soft stuff, double reef structure is good fun. Red Beryl, Invisibles, Margate Bay, Red Slave if weather permits. Salt Pier is a great night dive. Towards the north I really like the Andreas, Karpata, Thousand Steps, Oil Slick Leap.

There are some with unique features, such as the double-reef sites in the south, the Hilma Hooker wreck, and of course Salt Pier.

I was thinking along these lines; the distinctive sites. Speaking of the west coast...

1.) Karpata - really not that distinctive to me, though I liked it; fairly lush, and often spoken of and thus popular. Nice to go see what it's about, and there's the big concrete block I enter/exit beside.

2.) Oil Slick Leap - the big, near 6 foot giant stride is cool, and at least when I was there years ago, it was a good dive with with neat wildlife.

3.) 1,000 Steps - yes the walk back up is a 'feel the burn' experience, but the staircase is a nice photo op.s, and cool to see.

4.) The Cliff - small vertical wall. A boat dive site, Small Wall, is similar (but ironically I thought it was bigger).

5.) Salt Pier - others described. You can only dive it when there's no ship in, and you likely won't know day-to-day whether one will be, so if you're driving by & see it open, dive it at least once.

6.) Hilma Hooker - the wreck, and if you can get past focusing on that, a double-reef system.

7.) Angel City - nice double-reef system; I enjoyed heading out over the 'sandy canyon' and diving the distant reef. I imagine you could do this at Hilma Hooker, but A.C. was nifty.

8.) Bari Reef - really nice thought it's hard to describe any major dynamic feature. IIRC, years ago I was the site where a large diversity of species was documented, and sort of got minor area fame for that reason.

9.) Sweet Dreams - hardly ever hear anyone talk about it, but IIRC, it was a really lush, good southern site.

10.) Windsock - the dive site, not the resort. It's fairly easy entry/exit beside a large wooden pier (I assume it's still there?), which makes finding your way out on night dives extra easy.

There are a number of other sites I like for some reason, but those are the ones that were distinctive to me.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom