Bonaire Diving from Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While Wannadive is right at the dock, just up the road (maybe a 1/4 mile) is Yellow Submarine with a wonderful reef with very easy access right there. I'd walk up to YS and have two great/easy dives. I wouldn't mess with a truck or a dive boat if you only have one afternoon to dive. Waste of time and money if you ask me.

Look at the size of this Hog Honker as compared to the houses. If you notice there is another one tied up behind it. The population of the island tripled. Makes you wanna vomit.

2244978PC112313aaa.JPG

2244979PC112333bbb.JPG

Meet the Queen Mary II... How tough times must be to use this one as a pod sled.

Ran into a couple who had rented a four-wheeler and the thing quit on them off in the Kunuku's somewhere and their ship was gonna sail within the hour. Ended up giving them a ride and just leaving the machine for the rental agency to come find.

But look at it though - what a fine dive site it would make. Instead of the Hilma we could visit the Queen Mary II. Might be as cool as the Oriskany.

But look at it though - what a fine dive site it would make. Instead of the Hilma we could visit the Queen Mary II. Might be as cool as the Oriskany.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

'Kind of a serious question: What days of the week do these pull in now? A small group of us will be there the 1st week of January - 'would love to know when NOT to be in/drive through town. 'Was there a couple years ago same week, & we never saw one in the harbor.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

'Kind of a serious question: What days of the week do these pull in now? A small group of us will be there the 1st week of January - 'would love to know when NOT to be in/drive through town. 'Was there a couple years ago same week, & we never saw one in the harbor.

It doesn't really make a difference if the ship is in town. The passengers rarely get more than a couple of blocks away from the dock.

To the OP: Get off the ship as soon as possible and go diving. Don't wait for the afternoon. Bonaire is not the transportation capital of the Caribbean. If your boat leaves @5 and you're diving @3:30, chances are excellent you'll have a longer stay than you expected.

Then when you get back home, book another week @ Buddy Dive for March. You'll need to if you don't want to go insane. A day in Bonaire is just enough for you to realize how much you miss it when you leave.

Personally, if i had a lot of money, I'd book two round trips, so I could take the ship to Bonaire, get off, stay a week, then take the ship back. No "lost day" for off-gassing, no getting up at some insane hour for the cramped plane ride back, just a nice, slow, civilized cruise around the Caribbean, then back to the US.

Terry

Our ship gets into Bonaire at 8am and doesn't leave until midnight. We're going to hang out at Buddy's and dive, dive, dive.

Look at the size of this Hog Honker as compared to the houses. If you notice there is another one tied up behind it. The population of the island tripled. Makes you wanna vomit.
I agree, which is why my last trip to Bonaire will be my last trip to Bonaire.

Captain Don's did 2 tank dives last Easter when I was there. I am not sure about the waving of the orientation dive. It is usually done early in the Am. You also have to purchase a marine park pass to dive there. Cruise ships might differ.

Don't the cruise ships usually book tours for people who want to dive? I think I saw it on the Princess Cruise line website. I know a lot of them also go to Lac Bay.

We'll be in Bonaire over the holidays--there will be a cruise ship in town for nearly every single day we are there--on two days there will be TWO ships at once! All total, that should be a little less that 15,000 people! Ugh. Cozumel was bad enough.

I don't even get why cruise ships come to Bonaire. I mean, I LOVE Bonaire, but I don't think I would if I weren't a diver. The town is not very picturesque. The shopping is not very good. The island--sorry, but it's true--is nowhere near as beautiful nor as lush as so many other Caribbean islands. And there are NO beaches to speak of! Why do the cruise ships bring their people there! Do the passengers know what they're getting into?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom