Bonaire current status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Kharon

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be 78 next month and my stamina is failing. I would like to take one more trip to Bonaire, but ... I'm concerned about the condition of the reefs. My interest is to see mostly marine life - fish, eels, crabs, like that. But I wouldn't like to see a ton of dead coral.

So my questions are - 1. What is the status of marine life on the reefs; and 2. how bad is the coral situation; and 3. what are the current requirements re. equipment between dives?

I'll be 78 next month and my stamina is failing. I would like to take one more trip to Bonaire, but ... I'm concerned about the condition of the reefs. My interest is to see mostly marine life - fish, eels, crabs, like that. But I wouldn't like to see a ton of dead coral.

So my questions are - 1. What is the status of marine life on the reefs; and 2. how bad is the coral situation; and 3. what are the current requirements re. equipment between dives?

Why limit yourself to Bonaire ?

There are wonderful reefs and aquatic life in Asia which are worth exploring … with interesting cultural experiences to explore topside too …

1. Not as good as 30 years ago, but still lots of great things to see.

2. Not as good as 30 years ago, but if you don't focus on what is dead but instead focus on what is vibrant, still lots of great things to see.

3. That is up to you. There are recommendations but there is no Fish Stasi breathing down your neck.

If you really want the best reefs/ coral/ fish/ creatures, as Umunto says you can't beat a liveaboard in Indonesia or Philippines. But I think your personality prefers the freedom of Bonaire diving more than hupping to an imposed schedule and the regulation of guided dives there, even if the reefs here are no longer as pristine.

For what it is worth, I feel the same way. As much as I enjoy and will continue to do occasional Asian/South Pacific diving trips, just pulling off the road and stumbling in for a dive on my own time, at my own pace in Bonaire is still the most enjoyable despite not being always as spectacular.

Asia is too far - can't take long flight times. Not interested in topside experiences. I want to see fish without travel that leaves me exhausted.

Though we are considering Bonaire for March/April 2025, it was a disappointment already in 2014 (our last visit) and the nearby Curacao was a huge disappointment this June. Looking back, our best dives within a half-day flight were in Florida, Roatan, and in Riviera Maya/Cozumel. Florida boat diving can be challenging at 78, but there are plenty of direct flights to Cozumel and Cancun. Roatan tickets are generally more expensive, but their boat diving is likely the cheapest in the Caribbean, so this pays off.

I just got back from a pleasant trip to the BVI aboard the new Aggressor liveaboard. I'll be 78 in a couple of months. It depends on how you feel about dealing with diving from tenders as opposed to just falling off the dive deck.

Fish life is about the same as always. We saw large bait balls in Sept.
Hard corals took a big hit. Some types of hard coral (maze) was very suseptible and now is hard to find alive. Some hard coral is just fine. It was still a great time. We did half boat dives and half shore (I am 65). We used trekking poles to help stability on entry and exit.
I suggest looking at Carib inn. They offer very affordable boat dives for guests and have great packages.

BTW, some places require a Dr OK to rent tanks & or boat dive now if over 75. I don't know if PADI, SSI and NAUI are pushing it or the insurance companies or ?

Not necessarily Bonaire but I have seen it some places and cannot remember who or where. I am not there ye so I did not store it in memory.

BTW, some places require a Dr OK to rent tanks & or boat dive now if over 75. I don't know if PADI, SSI and NAUI are pushing it or the insurance companies or ?

Not necessarily Bonaire but I have seen it some places and cannot remember who or where. I am not there ye so I did not store it in memory.
The agencies want you to be fit; age is irrelevant.
ALL the places I've been ask you to attest that you are physically and mentally OK to dive, regardless of your age; almost all accept your word on that, but a few ask for a signed medical release. I just carry a copy of my signed medical that I get at my annual physical.
Can you name the places that have an overt age restriction? I've never seen one.

Thanks. I'll check that. I'm sure my doc would sign off on diving if needed.

Back
Top Bottom