Bonaire, Curacao, or Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you checked Golden Reef Inn?? Liz (see her post above) has a nice small resort and she may have something. GRI is not on the water but nothing on Bonaire is far from the water and you will not find a better host. She is partnered with one of the best dive shops on this island so you will not go wrong there either.

I have, and unfortunately they are sold out. That the Plaza Resort is Bonaire has gotten very mixed reviews makes me think twice. I know we could get great accomodations in Cayman, and in Curacao the Hilton and the Lodge Kura Hulanda and Beach Resort have availability. Any recommendations there? I guess I'm still not sure where to go. I like a nice place to stay, and although my husband can rough it I know he does too.

Hi,
I have sent you a private email. I'm new to the board so I don't know if you get it directly or if you have to go on the board to receive it. My husband David and I moved to Westpunt Curacao last year from NH. We have a vacation apartment for rent just down the street from The Lodge Kura Hulanda and the Alice in Wonderland dive site. We'd love to have you stay with us. We can also suggest alternative lodging in Westpunt or Lagun, but the west end is definitely the place for divers. In any event, contact us and we'll join you on a dive. We're the green building on Playa Kalki with the Sol Food sign (weekend restaurant).
Sunshine

Hi,
I have sent you a private email. I'm new to the board so I don't know if you get it directly or if you have to go on the board to receive it. My husband David and I moved to Westpunt Curacao last year from NH. We have a vacation apartment for rent just down the street from The Lodge Kura Hulanda and the Alice in Wonderland dive site. We'd love to have you stay with us. We can also suggest alternative lodging in Westpunt or Lagun, but the west end is definitely the place for divers. In any event, contact us and we'll join you on a dive. We're the green building on Playa Kalki with the Sol Food sign (weekend restaurant).
Sunshine

Just saw it, Curacao Sunshine. Thank you so much. If we decide on Curacao we'll definitely consider it.

I would recommend Curacao.
You can fly there directly from Miami, vs going through San Juan, Puerto Rico where you ususlly get delayed or have luggage lost. The Island is very interesting. While Bonaire and the Caymans are flat, Curacao is mountainous with Mt Cristoffel as the centerpiece of a large national park. Willemstad is bustling and upbeat with great restaurants and shopping.

Diving: The water is clear and the reefs are vibrant and healthy. The west side of the island has the most pristine divesites and the clearest water. If you stayed at the Kura Hulanda Lodge or All West apartments, you can dive the house reefs repeatedly and conveniently. We average 4 or 5 dives a day, but sometimes climb Mt Cristoffel or walk around Willemstad.

We cooked much of our own food after buying fresh fish from the local fisherman as they arrived at the pier, and produce from local markets.

Do some more research and you will find that the diving in Curacao combined with great topside activities makes for a more complete vacation. If all you want to do is dive, dive , dive, then maybe Bonaire is right for you. Cayman seems to be a happy medium, but you have already been there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom