Bonaire/Curacao for Beginner divers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for the recent replies! Yes, we are going to Bonaire. We would like to give Curacao a try at some point too, but Bonaire is calling us! Good advice with regard to the booties.

I have slip on fins that don't require booties. I don't even think they will go over booties. Any other suggestions/ways to not kill my feet????

Thanks for the suggestions on using the house reefs at the various hotels. I think we will keep that in mind when/if we venture out on our own. We are going to stick with the dive guide at first and see where that takes us. Maybe we will be confident without a guide after a few days, we'll see.

Still leaning toward using Bas Noij. He seems like an amazing DM from what I have read here and on Bonaire Talk! However, the owners of the cottage we plan to rent have suggested Tropical Divers too. It's harder to find reviews for them. Found a few and they were good.

So many things to consider.

I hope to be able to help others on this board after I get back and get some experience/insights.

Thanks so much everyone!

Waterproof/rubber sandals! The ones with tire tread soles work great

Wear the sandles on entry and exit, carrying the fins in your hands, till you are @ waste deep. Then don the fins, and stow the sandals on a bcd strap or weight belt. Worked very well for my brother and his kids last year on Bonaire ( simply forgot to suggest boots and strap fins when we planned the trip, my fault).

Entries while wearing fins is asking for trouble, and bare foot, even on hard pan coral can be painful.

Jenn;

Some of the verey best advice I got before going to Bonaire:

The owner of my local dive shop told me to make sure I had some hard-soled booties that worked with my fins before I went to Bonaire. I found these and ordered them -

Hard-Soled Scuba Booties

I know you said you have full-foot fins, but I was SO happy to have these when I got there.

I would have liked to have some really good insect repellent also. Mosquitoes were tough on me, but but ignored my son. Go figure.

I think I will end up buying the booties and getting new fins. It seems like the safest route to take. Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I hope to be helpful after my trip to Bonaire!

I think I will end up buying the booties and getting new fins. It seems like the safest route to take. Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I hope to be helpful after my trip to Bonaire!

Good call. I've tried the Teva route before and it's all good until you slip a little and scrape the top or side of your foot on something nasty. Your skin there is quite thin. I wouldn't consider doing Bonaire with fins that aren't open heeled, but you don't need anything super expensive.

Jenn;

The owner of my local dive shop told me to make sure I had some hard-soled booties that worked with my fins before I went to Bonaire. I found these and ordered them -

Hard-Soled Scuba Booties

I know you said you have full-foot fins, but I was SO happy to have these when I got there.

I would have liked to have some really good insect repellent also. Mosquitoes were tough on me, but but ignored my son. Go figure.

Good advice on the bug spray too! 100% DEET worked wonder last June. I am usually the first,and worst bitten, and Bonaire does have it's fair share of those nasty bloodsuckers, who usually make me miserable, if I am not prepared.

I only suggested the sandals, for those who either show up unaware of the entry difficulties associated with full fins, or those who simply aren't willing to make the (wise) investment in hard sole boots and strap or spring binding fins.

Jenn;

Hard-Soled Scuba Booties

Good advice on the bug spray too! 100% DEET worked wonder last June. I am usually the first,and worst bitten, and Bonaire does have it's fair share of those nasty bloodsuckers, who usually make me miserable, if I am not prepared. 100% DEET was the perfect solution this last trip!!!!!

I only suggested the sandals, in my post above, for those who either show up unaware of the entry difficulties associated with full fins, or those who simply aren't willing to make the (wise) investment in hard sole boots and strap or spring binding fins. :no: That would not be my choice, for sure.

Every diver that starts diving especially in a strange environment may not feel secure. But to tell you the truth shore diving on Curacao is easy, enter the water descend dive to the right and at 1/2 tank turnaround and dive back (reef on the left hand). But ofcourse if you don't feel secure you start with a school wih small groups. than you have the attention of the guide.

After a few dives when you feel more secure you dive the same dive on yoiur own and you'll see it's easy.

Go to a dive school that dives with small groups and ask for the easy shore entries.

Any questions just ask

Regards
Hans

Hello Jen and everyone else,

My girlfriend and I are new divers as well and we are looking for a great spot for vacation (for 2 weeks) with diving every day and a little romance at night :). We are leaning towards Bonaire as well. I have been to Mexico about 10 times and always stayed at all inclusive, but never anywhere like bonaire. I have a few questions any advice will be greatly appreciated.

First: What advice do you have for flights cost ect..? I live near Cincinnati Oh

What should I expect to spend on food and a few drinks and diving for about 2 weeks? or a daily average cost?

We are looking to go around 1st of sept is that a ok month weather wise?

Any suggestions for a travel agent?

Thank you all for any help

Marcus & Summer

You'll enjoy Bonaire. As far as food goes, what you spend depends on you but you could expect to average $80 to $100 a day if you eat all meals out with a few drinks. Be sure to get to Unbelievables and Casablanca for dinner. The Plaza has a Tuesday night beach BBQ for $15.

I was there last September and it was hot, 90s every day. Had a storm overnight on night, other than that it was clear all week.

You don't really need a travel agent to book your acommadations, dive package, or rental vehicle. Many places offer the whole package. Check these links for more info on Bonaire: Bonaire: The official tourism website of Bonaire
Bonaire / Diving

I stayed at the Plaza and would recommend it. Buddy Dive, Capt Dons Habitat, and Harbour Village were also recommended by others I dove with. Plenty of houses or condos available too.

Airfare is another story. You can book yourself but need to constantly monitor to get the best price. You may want to use a good travel agent for this. I also recommend that you get a flight direct from the US (a connection in the US is ok). Some of the flights I've seen route you thru other islands and take forever to get there. Maybe Delta to Atlanta then on to Bonaire?

Newark has the direct Friday evening redeye to Bonaire, on Continental, that we use. We have also flown through Atlanta, and Texas, but the Newark flight works out best for us, but from Ohio, not sure what would be best. (I drive @3hrs to EWR from upstate NY, to get this flight, because air to EWR from Albany area is so much more! But Ohio is a long haul to any of the 3 dirct flights I am aware of)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom