Bonaire Critter ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a bit of a fish nerd, LOL.. Figured this a good place to post fish pics in need of ID. Always can use the help on those I do not recognize..

Coney. Golden Phase. There are 3 color phases, Brown, Bicolor and Golden. The giveaway on Coneys are the two dark spots on the lower lip (hard to see in this pic), and the tiny spots, sometimes bright blue. Very common.
1.P6170456.jpg

Yellowhead Jawfish, male with eggs in mouth. Found in the sandy areas, shallow.
1.P6180635.jpg

Black Durgon, in the triggerfish family. Common at some sites, not so much other sites. Usually hanging in the water column out over the reef
1485 04 black durgon.jpg

You are so great to offer help with fish id. I saw this "fish" at Angel City ~40-45ft. It's about 3in in width. I honestly thought it was a hermit crab, but it was "moving weirdly" so I took a snap. I was really surprised to find out while reviewing photos it had a face on top :O
P6210685.jpg

Looks like a sea slug of some sort. Honestly, I have no idea...

Hey np, thanks for looking. Maybe someone will come by some day and know. Here's a close up in case it helps, seems like a cross between a frog fish and a stargazer, I think the two things hanging out of its nostrils could be lures?
P6210685_1.jpg

One more for fish id. This poor guy had one of these bugs stuck to both sides of its face. Any idea what those are?

P6160110.jpg

That's an isopod. I originally was told it's a parasite, but have recently heard that there is a relationship between the two that is not destructive.

Hey np, thanks for looking. Maybe someone will come by some day and know. Here's a close up in case it helps, seems like a cross between a frog fish and a stargazer, I think the two things hanging out of its nostrils could be lures? View attachment 848108
OK, to post on FB Fish ID group?
My guess would be a crab of some sort..

You are so great to offer help with fish id. I saw this "fish" at Angel City ~40-45ft. It's about 3in in width. I honestly thought it was a hermit crab, but it was "moving weirdly" so I took a snap. I was really surprised to find out while reviewing photos it had a face on top :O
My wife and I are in agreement, which doesn't happen very often, that it "may" be a scorpion fish. I've seen them drag themselves around with a strange hopping motion on several occasions. Then again, it could be Jabba the Hutt...

Back
Top Bottom