Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wife and I did Kauai, Hi Long a$$ flight from the east coast... Prices were sky high.. The local don't like outsiders... we did all shore dives and the best was KOLOA LANDING ... Very nice for a one time trip but we'll never go back... Was warned about theft by the dive shop, Rental car company and the hotel... Don't leave anything in the car at the beach..

If you look up the thread about "Places to retire" Someone that lives out there posted about the problem with car break ins at beaches and dive sites...

Jim...

mmmbelows:

I'm pointing out there are multiple considerations that go into selecting a dive trip destination. Nobody wants to get robbed. One of the reasons is nobody likes losing wealth, whether money or possessions. Especially due to theft, granted. But if you want shore diving and skip Bonaire out of concern for petty theft, & instead head to shore dive Maui, I'm guessing you're going to be out a lot more money. As for 'apples to oranges,' I'm talking about wide divergence in destinations; Hawaii's got it all over Bonaire in topside scenery, but the water's cooler, the 'reef' a lot different looking though you get to see endemic species, etc...

With a little Googling just now, I found a site called Living in Hawaii, which has a page on Trips to Avoid Rental Car Crime in Hawaii, so here are some highlights from that:

"One of the major downers about taking a vacation to, or living in Hawaii, is that the rate of car theft, petty theft, and vandalism to vehicles is very high. Always has been, and maybe always will be – who knows? Take some precautions."

"
1. Park, jump out and go. When you arrive at a beach or another attraction in Hawaii there are often thieves hanging around the parking lot watching people exit their vehicles. Why? They can learn a lot by your body language about whether you might be leaving something of value in your vehicle or not. If you’re standing around the car and talking with your partner about leaving your camera in the trunk, or under the seat, you’re giving off body language that can tell a thief there is something you’re leaving in the car. People leaving something valuable in the car might take too much time to store it away under things. They might spend time looking around to see if anyone is watching. When you pull up to park, be ready to go right away. Don’t hesitate at your car about what to take, know what you’re taking, grab it, and go. Never leave anything at all of value in your vehicle – it isn’t worth the risk. Even just fixing a broken window is a major pain the okole¹!

2. Leave windows open, doors unlocked². Most of you who don’t live on the islands will laugh at this. Your rental car contract might not cover if you leave the windows down or the doors unlocked. If you don’t have an excellent alarm system, this is highly recommended. Every time we parked in a public place, or even at night in front of our home, we left the windows down slightly and the doors open. What this does is basically tell the thieves, you’re a local and you don’t have anything to steal except the car itself. Most thieves are not out to steal the car, it’s too big a liability to be caught for grand-theft. They just want your phone, camera, spare change in the cup holder, etc. They’re looking for money for drugs for their next high.
"

Hmmm...sounds like you might want to leave your doors unlocked, windows open and nothing of much value in the car while you're off diving in...Hawaii?

TripAdvisor has a discussion thread on car break-ins; look at post #4, by KamaainaK:

"Common doesnʻt mean most of the cars. It means it happens enough that you should be pro-active in preventing loss.

The Big Island is one of the LEAST for break-ins. Oahu is really bad, Mauihas been well known for the problem for many years, and it happens on Kauaʻi too -- certain parking areas get hit over and over.

We give a special caution to people who are transiting between lodgings and sightseeing at trailheads. Akaka Falls used to be really sketchy, but now there is a parking attendant. If you have checked out and everything you brought on your trip is in your car, except for what you personally carry -- naturally if you got hit the loss would be especially tough to deal with.

Also, because of the distances on the Big Island, people tend to make the same plans all the time of sightseeing the north and south while in transit, with all their stuff. To believe that thieves donʻt know that would be naive.

As for who the thieves are, they are primarily meth addicts looking to supply their habit for the day. Hawaiʻi has had one of the biggest meth problems in the US for a while now. We used to be the worst state for it. We do have high poverty, unemployment, and other social problems in plenty here. Also our position relevant to Asia has made us vulnerable to the drug trade coming from there.

Just be smart, and donʻt have illusions that it is paradise here."

Richard.

If you truly want a crime free vacation: try a liveaboard. Unbelievably convenient. You get up, eat a bit, jump off the back of the boat, eat a bit, jump off the back of the boat, eat a bit, jump off the back of the boat, eat a bit, jump off the back of the boat, eat a bit, do a night dive and just in case you're hungry, go ahead and eat a bit. :D :D :D Repeat for five or six days.

Hmmm...sounds like you might want to leave your doors unlocked, windows open and nothing of much value in the car while you're off diving in...Hawaii?

Um, no.

You must have missed it so I'll post it again for you, read carefully...

I shore dived extensively on Maui a year ago, the rental company did not require me to leave my windows down and my car unlocked to avoid liability to damages, I had valuables in the car, I was able to have a more expensive hat than $3.00 without fear of somebody smashing the car windows to steal it.

I've had rental cars in at least 30 countries world wide have left it on back roads hike remote areas, go caving, go to beaches, never once did any of the rental agencies require me to leave the car unlocked and the windows down to avoid liability to damage, and in all of these places I've had a hat worth more than $3.00 and it was never stolen.

You have had great luck leaving valuables in your car while you were out being a tourist. We have not had that luck. In Mexico we leave the doors open and nothing of value in the car. The exception is something in the trunk while we are at a big supermarket with lots of people around but we leave nothing that would make us really sorry if someone took it.

Nope. Didn't miss it. You've had rental cars in at least 30 countries worldwide, have left some on back roads and such...but I'm guessing the majority of those trips/countries weren't shore diving trips. People heading to Bonaire aren't going for the hiking, caving, and they're sure not going for the beaches! You've had no hat stolen? A number of people have reported shore diving Bonaire with some stuff in their vehicle & nothing stolen.

You seem to have a rather intense resentment that the Bonaire rental car agencies require renters to practice the widely known risk reduction practices of leaving the windows down and doors unlocked as a condition of coverage.

Turns out, you might be smart to do the same thing in parts of Hawaii and I would imagine a number of other areas in the world.

In Bonaire, the rental car agencies make it a condition of coverage. For whatever reason, that seems to be a big deal to you.

I suggest that people shore diving Bonaire leave their doors unlocked & windows down with nothing of much value in the truck...because it's the wise thing to do to reduce your risk of theft. Whether your rental car agency demanded it or not.

Richard.

It has been quite a few years since I visited Maui, but car break-ins were a big problem. We saw a lot of broken glass in parking lots, especially where cars parked on the side of the road. We were instructed to keep windows rolled up (since the rain causes mold when getting under floor mats), and leave doors unlocked. We had a car rental with a trunk that could only be accessed from the outside with a key. There was no lever or pull that one could use inside the car to unlock it. I usually do not travel with high end items anyways, but it was nice to have a place to stow my phone, change of clothes and low end topside camera.

Places in the Caribbean that I have visited which seem to have less crime are Saba and Cozumel, unfortunately, they are not big shore diving destinations. Curacao also had problems with break ins, but there were several beach areas that had some security presence.

"Curacao also had problems with break ins, but there were several beach areas that had some security presence."

Maybe this is what needs to get out; people that upset about the realities of the Bonaire situation may need a list of Curacao shore dive sites with onsite supervision, if such is deemed sufficient to warrant leaving your windows up & doors locked. They can then go to Curacao, stick to just those sites (plus the house reef, if they have one) & perhaps boat dives, problem* solved.

Richard.

P.S.: * Problem in question the rental truck petty theft & counter measures issue. Not the home invasion concern, which is a separate matter.

What I find disturbing in this thread are the many supporters of Amstel and Brights. Clearly Polarcita is a much better choice.
I guess I'll need to do MORE taste testing during my 6 weeks of bonaire diving...

Jim...

Back
Top Bottom