Bonaire-- best house reef / most deluxe accommodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are trying out the Bellafonte...I thought it looked like a great place to relax after diving.

We've stayed at the Bellafonte on all 3 trips we've made to Bonaire. You are correct it's a great place to relax at.

It's not quite as 'quiet and uncrowded' underwater since there's now a dive shop two or three doors down, but it's still pretty laid-back. It's still pretty much an out-of-the-way spot underwater. It's just our first 2 trips we only ever saw snorklers beside ourselves in the water there.

We've used what is now Dive Friends for scuba service provider - they have a shop right near the airport at the other end of the airport beach from the end the Bellafonte is near. Friendly folks with good access for tank pick-up and drop-off.

Once we had one other couple to share the scuba gear / storage / drying room at the Bellafonte - the other 2 trips we had the gear room all to ourselves.

The house reef is Corporal meiss dive site. There's an old underwater research grid there that makes a great navigation aid.

Have a great trip!

A little advise please.

My two sons, who will be 13 and 16 by Christmas 2010, and myself, are most definitely going to take a dive trip this Christmas. I like the idea of Bonaire because of the easy shore diving, since the boys get sea sick quite easily, but if anyone has an alternative destination recommendation to suggest I am all ears.

Regarding Bonaire, could someone who knows the island really well suggest a great place to stay if I visit? For me that would mean safe, a great shore reef, a place void of loud partying at night, but close enough to town to walk to restaurants and shops i. e. a great place for a single dad with two sons. Would like a great deal because I am "American" and that's what we all want, but cost is not really a concern if the rate was commensurate with the amenities (fond of luxury, but have stayed in more than one "dive place" where the room light was a bare bulb dangling from a strand of Romex). An apartment would be good, but light cooking is all I would attempt. Any advise on where to stay would be great. Since it is mostly shore diving, the only criteria I would want satisfied from a dive shop is a meticulously well maintained compressor that follows mfg. recommendation for changing the air filters (most don't, and this can make you sick and ruin your trip - I know, it has happened to me more than once).

If someone on the board has any local knowledge appropriate for my situation I would be grateful if you would share it with me. It is possible another single parent family will be joining me, so might need 2 rooms/apartments or a 3 bedroom. A PM is fine if you don't think it fits on this thread.

Finally, from Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa or Orlando), does anyone have knowledge of the best connections and who typically has the best fares? I'd be glad to treat anyone who can help me to lunch, but the catch is you have to come to Sarasota to collect. Thanks, Will

A little advise please.

My two sons, who will be 13 and 16 by Christmas 2010, and myself, are most definitely going to take a dive trip this Christmas. I like the idea of Bonaire because of the easy shore diving, since the boys get sea sick quite easily, but if anyone has an alternative destination recommendation to suggest I am all ears.

Regarding Bonaire, could someone who knows the island really well suggest a great place to stay if I visit? For me that would mean safe, a great shore reef, a place void of loud partying at night, but close enough to town to walk to restaurants and shops i. e. a great place for a single dad with two sons. Would like a great deal because I am "American" and that's what we all want, but cost is not really a concern if the rate was commensurate with the amenities (fond of luxury, but have stayed in more than one "dive place" where the room light was a bare bulb dangling from a strand of Romex). An apartment would be good, but light cooking is all I would attempt. Any advise on where to stay would be great. Since it is mostly shore diving, the only criteria I would want satisfied from a dive shop is a meticulously well maintained compressor that follows mfg. recommendation for changing the air filters (most don't, and this can make you sick and ruin your trip - I know, it has happened to me more than once).

If someone on the board has any local knowledge appropriate for my situation I would be grateful if you would share it with me. It is possible another single parent family will be joining me, so might need 2 rooms/apartments or a 3 bedroom. A PM is fine if you don't think it fits on this thread.

Finally, from Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa or Orlando), does anyone have knowledge of the best connections and who typically has the best fares? I'd be glad to treat anyone who can help me to lunch, but the catch is you have to come to Sarasota to collect. Thanks, Will

The House reef with the most fish life is Bari Reef, it has 135 differrent species:shocked2:The resort in fron toff the reef is the Den Laman Condos. they are all state of the art individually owned condos, flatscreens, mirowave, dishwashers, stainless steel appliances etc. Great views, 2-3floor wonderful staff. Or next door are the Sanddollar Condos. Both are nice Den laman has more privacy in MOI.

The House reef with the most fish life is Bari Reef, it has 135 differrent species:shocked2:The resort in fron toff the reef is the Den Laman Condos. they are all state of the art individually owned condos, flatscreens, mirowave, dishwashers, stainless steel appliances etc. Great views, 2-3floor wonderful staff. Or next door are the Sanddollar Condos. Both are nice Den laman has more privacy in MOI.

Den Laman would be a good choice for ancient diver.

Bonaire Resorts, Bonaire Dive Resort - dive packages and information

The dive shop Den Laman uses is

Bonaire Dive and Adventure

Ancientdiver you should absolutely 100% have your sons take Jerry Ligon's naturalist class (IT's worth 3X the cost but don't tell Jerry)

Flights:

I actually prefer to fly to Curacao and take the Divi Divi over.

Only issue is weight limits on the puddle jumper.

Insel Air flys non-stop to Bonaire from Miami on the weekends...

A little advise please.

My two sons, who will be 13 and 16 by Christmas 2010, and myself, are most definitely going to take a dive trip this Christmas....

From what I've read, the Christmas/NewYears vacation week can be quite hectic on Bonaire, with everything at full capacity. Restaurants will be quite slow.

Airfares to Bonaire will be the highest they'll ever be so check out the Curacao flights.

Actually, Insel is holding the line on airfare prices from Miami to Bonaire, both non-stop and via Curacao, for the last week of the year.
They fly 7 days a week so that gives you more options.
You should book everything for that time-frame soon, for best results...

We are trying out the Bellafonte...I thought it looked like a great place to relax after diving.
Christnk1,
We are considering the Bellafonte, have you stayed their? How does it compare to Harbour and Belmar if you are familiar with those accommodations?

Warm Water Diver, Thanks for your input. We are looking at the Bellafonte, Harbour and BelMar...any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom