Bonaire at last

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A quick trip report, for those who don't need the details. Just back from a Dec.11-Dec.25 trip. Being a first-timer to the island I had the usual pre-questions and concerns, none of which mattered in the end because...well, it was Bonaire. Plus I had SB to show me the way!

Stayed at Golden Reef Inn. If you like to do things for yourself, don't need to be catered to, want to save money but mostly want a great dive experience--well, Liz and Ed at GRI have you covered. Liz took care of the flights, reservations, questions etc. in a professional and relaxed way. The drive & dive pkg can't be beat and getting around in a small truck on Bonaire is fun. Diving was wonderful, water was 81 degrees weather was perfect--sunny, not too hot, nice breezes, what little rain we had was a shower or 2 at night. Very comfortable villa in a real quiet part of the island but not far from anything. The kitchen, ac, room safe etc. were perfect for us.

Viz was so-so--but so what? 40-50' viz in a place like Bonaire is plenty for all the sea life you'll see. Having double the viz would not have made that much difference, there is just too much to see close at hand. Some nice Eagle rays at Atlantis, turtles down south, tarpon on the Hooker, 4 octopuses on a night dive at Buddy's Reef (Buddy's itself is sooooo accomodating to non-guests it was hard to not dive there a few times.), healthy fish populations, bunches of various eels, beautiful coral yada yada--you get the idea.

The one sad note was the resident sea horse on Divi Reef. We were told to ask where to see him. When we did, the staff at Dive Bonaire sadly related that some jerk had grabbed the sea horse's tail four days previous proceeding to whip the poor critter around in the water, all for for some pictures. The sea horse hasn't been seen since and probably was injured or died. The guy was reported but it was his last dive. I guess he got a letter from the marine board. Thank goodness for karma. What can you say?

Well, I wrote this mostly for anyone out there who has ever thought "Hey, I wonder if Bonaire would be fun?" It's more than fun. It's one of the nicer things you could do in your life. BIg thanks to Liz & Ed at Golden Reef Inn. Also to Paul and the staff at WannaDive--what a great dive operation. Thank's too to SB and the folks who contribute their insight and experience in these Forums so first timers like me can go have a supreme experience. Jeez, I just got home and already with serious PBD symptoms!

Thanks for the report. We're at Buddy Dive for a week at the end of April and these reports are real helpful. They also make me anxious!

Pete

I'm glad you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing your experience. That really burns me up about the jerk who handled the seahorse. I don't understand how someone could think that is acceptable behavior. That person should not be allowed to dive in Bonaire ever again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom