Boltsnap By 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello

Why do you need a boltsnap by the 2nd stage on your reg? I dont see any use for it, What you guys like to tell me? I have no took fundies yet but im going to in 3 months.
Thanks

HybridDiver:
Why do you need a boltsnap by the 2nd stage on your reg? I dont see any use for it.
If the primary reg fails and you have to go to your backup (necklaced) reg, you need to secure the primary so that it does not become an entanglement hazard. Also, when you are breathing off of stage or deco tanks, you need to secure the primary, for the same reason.

EDIT: I just realized that my original reply above sort of assumes a doubles config. With a single tank, it would be rare to have a failure mode where your backup would work, but your primary wouldn't. With a single however, you would still need to clip off the primary when you are sharing air, so you would still need a boltsnap for that.

Oh awesome, Thanks for the heads up. I just finished tieing it, seems kinda weird but ill get used to it :).
Cheers

DIR-Atlanta:
If the primary reg fails and you have to go to your backup (necklaced) reg, you need to secure the primary so that it does not become an entanglement hazard. Also, when you are breathing off of stage or deco tanks, you need to secure the primary, for the same reason.

Yea what he said!
Or
So your Tec1 instructor doesn't tie you or your buddy up(or together) with your 7ft hose.:wink:

Milo

ekewaka:
I use it at the surface.
When breathing through your snorkel? :rofl3:

DIR-Atlanta:
When breathing through your snorkel? :rofl3:
No, I breath through my mouth.

I think a snorkel is a fine piece of equipment; it is just not appropriate for scuba diving.

DIR-Atlanta:
EDIT: I just realized that my original reply above sort of assumes a doubles config. With a single tank, it would be rare to have a failure mode where your backup would work, but your primary wouldn't. With a single however, you would still need to clip off the primary when you are sharing air, so you would still need a boltsnap for that.

Not really. Might get gunk in it that can't be cleaned. Might have the diaphragm tear. Might just be breathing wet. Maybe you just want to switch to the backup for a while. I do that from time to time during my dives as my primary gives me cotton mouth. Usually, I'll just swish some water around in my mouth and spit it out. Or drink some if I'm in the cave where it's clear.

I also use the clip to keep my reg stowed on my walk to the water or my walk back to take my gear off. I clip the reg off just before putting the primary on the tank, so that it won't fall in the dirt. I clip off my lighthead for the same reason.

As one of my instructors or mentors told me a while back . . . First rule of the long hose: Always clip off the long hose.

When you're moving your gear, or as you're gearing up, or when you're walking to the water, or as you're surface swimming to where you are going to drop . . . All of those are times when the long hose reg can fall to the ground, or get lost in the water. Being able to clip it off means you can always know precisely where it is.

And in classes, if you air-share, for example, and forget to clip off the primary reg, it's likely to end up behind your feet, helped along by a set of blue gloves . . .

For those of us that do surf entries and exits, it prevents you from getting the primary unwrapped by a passing wave and then dragged it through the sand the rest of the way in or out of the surf.

That only has to happen once to be burned indelibly into your memory. :wink:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom