Bolt Snaps - Butt Plate - Big Clumsy Fingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaconbest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I've been diving sidemount for a lot of my open water dives lately. I'm in 32 degree water all the time in a drysuit with dry gloves, and having sidemounted tanks is awesome. Walking down a snow covered, icy, uneven rock hill is way better without two tanks mounted. It's super convieniant to drop my tanks off, go suit up, stroll to the water and hook in while chest deep.

The only issue im having is that I'm using bolt snaps to attach my tanks to my buttplate (nomad) and my dry gloves, with their insulation makes it really difficult to pull down on the thumb clip of the bolt snap.

Does anyone know of a bolt snap with and extended thumb ridge, or has anyone used anything different than the standard xl 5/8' jaw snap?

Thanks!

Sit on your couch one evening, wearing your Nomad and dry gloves. Have a spare bolt snap. Whilst watching TV, clip, unclip, clip, unclip... A few hours of that, no more problems.

Does anyone know of a bolt snap with and extended thumb ridge, or has anyone used anything different than the standard xl 5/8' jaw snap?
1. The only snap with an extended thumb ridge that I am aware of is a butterfly snap, which mblazer mentioned. Two caveats: a) definitely get stainless steel, not brass; b) while the thumb ridge is higher, the jaw opening may actually be smaller than with medium or large bolt snaps. Also, the one advertised on the Dive Gear Express site is listed as a 3.75 inch snap (overall length). A slightly bigger snap (overall length 4.5") is available from Reef Scuba (Stainless Steel Scuba and Marine Hardware from reefscuba.com.Page 1. Hard to find scuba and marine hardware.)

2. The largest jaw opening I have found on SS bolt snaps is 9/16". If you are already using a 10/16" opening, you may have already gone about as far as you can in that direction.

3. I agree with Andy - practice (and practice, and more practice) makes perfect. I found with my Nomad that it was a matter of getting a feel for how to grip the bolt snap with my thick gloves on, and my hand behind me - IOW doing it by feel, and knowing where the buttplate rails are, without being able to see them. With time, and practice, it has become second nature.

4. I have seen more than a few people using large gated snaps / carabiners (formerly known as 'suicide clips') on the bottom attachment point. That is not necessarily an endorsement, just an observation. There is an excellent video on YouTube - Side Mount Cave Diving Training by Brian Kakuk (also referenced in the 'side-slung' thread in this forum) - which addresses regulator hose routing. But, if you fast forward to the 4 min 29 sec point in the video, you will see what he uses for the bottom attachment - big gated snaps.

Last edited:
I have gone to larger bolt snaps and moved my rigging to accommodate them. I also wear thick fingered and three fingered gloves. As far as wether brass or stainless, make sure the springs in the unit are stainless. Devon makes a great point, the more you do it the better your dexterity becomes. Also wears in the clip a little, making them operate easier. This is however just my $.05 .:coffee:

I use snap shackles on the rear...

snapshackle.jpg

Take a little bit of getting used to, but require no strength to open / close

Putting a middle or ring finger in the eye of a "swivel-eye" bolt snap will, first, increase control, then give you much greater leverage. At least that's what it does for me.

Try the XL snap swivels and if you look around you'll see that some are shaped differently [ at the non-snap end ]...I find the ones that are elongated on the end, rather than round are easier to hold while working the snap end... [And as usual they're the hard-to-find ones ;( ]........

1. The only snap with an extended thumb ridge that I am aware of is a butterfly snap, which mblazer mentioned. Two caveats: a) definitely get stainless steel, not brass; b) while the thumb ridge is higher, the jaw opening may actually be smaller than with medium or large bolt snaps. Also, the one advertised on the Dive Gear Express site is listed as a 3.75 inch snap (overall length). A slightly bigger snap (overall length 4.5") is available from Reef Scuba (Stainless Steel Scuba and Marine Hardware from reefscuba.com.Page 1. Hard to find scuba and marine hardware.)

It took me a few tries before I realized that the springs inside a stainless snap could not be stainless. Mostly I found out when trying to unsnap a gummed up snap with cold fingers. :(

2. The largest jaw opening I have found on SS bolt snaps is 9/16". If you are already using a 10/16" opening, you may have already gone about as far as you can in that direction.

I bought the 5/8" at true value in maine - the lady that checked me in says "that must be some big F%^%^ dog" Made me laugh!

3. I agree with Andy - practice (and practice, and more practice) makes perfect. I found with my Nomad that it was a matter of getting a feel for how to grip the bolt snap with my thick gloves on, and my hand behind me - IOW doing it by feel, and knowing where the buttplate rails are, without being able to see them. With time, and practice, it has become second nature.

Yeah, I agree with practice. I usually suit up at home on the weekend for a couple hours and run through drills of pulling out and storing equipment (line cutters, etc) and manipulating my valves with the gloves on. I'll add that into my routine, hopefully I don't drop my 100s on the wife's tile while doing so!

4. I have seen more than a few people using large gated snaps / carabiners (formerly known as 'suicide clips') on the bottom attachment point. That is not necessarily an endorsement, just an observation. There is an excellent video on YouTube - Side Mount Cave Diving Training by Brian Kakuk (also referenced in the 'side-slung' thread in this forum) - which addresses regulator hose routing. But, if you fast forward to the 4 min 29 sec point in the video, you will see what he uses for the bottom attachment - big gated snaps.

I've tried the carabiners before, and they work, but I'm always worried I'll bump into something and get the jaws caught. I've thought about the carabiners with the turret lock (that you rotate) but i think that may be even harder to snap.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

• I think you may be looking for a butterfly snap. Check here: Premium Stainless Steel Snaps - Dive Gear Express
    - I have never seen this before now, and it looks pretty interesting. I think the smaller jaws wouldn't be a problem. I can usually manipulate the jaws to the buttplate, I just have a hard time pressing the little nub on the bolt snap. Thanks!

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

Putting a middle or ring finger in the eye of a "swivel-eye" bolt snap will, first, increase control, then give you much greater leverage. At least that's what it does for me.
- This is what I used to do, but one time I dropped the tank, wrenched my finger pretty bad and ended up smashing a spg in the process. I do agree it is much easier to manipulate that way though!

The only caveat is that a sudden movement can wrench, or even break that finger. I have only gotten wrenched; but I have talked to a "broke my finger" person.

(And the above was another.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom