Bolt Snaps - Butt Plate - Big Clumsy Fingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It took me a few tries before I realized that the springs inside a stainless snap could not be stainless. Mostly I found out when trying to unsnap a gummed up snap with cold fingers.
And that is quite often the issue (non-stainless spring) with the bolt snaps you get that are supposedly 'stainless', and the reason why the description, in both Dive Gear Express and the Reef Scuba websites specifically mention that the spring is also stainless. In the non-diving 'marine' bolt snap (with the non-stainless spring), the non-stainless spring corrodes over time and either causes the snap to be hard to open, or crumbles away and causes the jaw to open without warning.
deaconbest:
I bought the 5/8" at true value in maine - the lady that checked me in says "that must be some big F%^%^ dog" Made me laugh!
Another place, which I forgot to mention, that may carry larger stainless bolt snaps, is an equestrian supply outlet.
deaconbest:
I've tried the carabiners before, and they work, but I'm always worried I'll bump into something and get the jaws caught.
Yeah, and that is the common concern. For most applications, where a bolt snap of appropriate size is available, I would prefer the bolt snap. I think the chance of serious - irreversible - entanglement with a gated clip is actually pretty low, but nonetheless the chance with a bolt snap is even lower. But, as you see in the video I mentioned, and in real life for that matter, there are more than a few experienced divers going into caves with gated clips. So . . .
deaconbest:
I've thought about the carabiners with the turret lock (that you rotate) but i think that may be even harder to snap.
Exactly. I simply cannot imagine using those in the water, and trying to manipulate the spring-loaded rotating lock with one hand. I used them for belaying (while climbing) and love them. But, they are enough work to manipulate with two hands.

I've had students from the PNW, California, Canada, Germany, and Belgium who all wear dry gloves during their most frequent diving. Some use the butterfly snap bolts, however, what I've seen is the most helpful is to get the large bolt snap that has a 1 inch eye and anchor the bolt snap with a finger through the eye. This works especially well with cold fingers that otherwise wouldn't be able to even get a butterfly snap open. I haven't heard of or seen any issues with broken fingers by doing this. It may have been technique. I've found the easiest way to don and doff the tanks is horizontal in the water where they are the lightest and easiest to handle and will be sitting the way they will be during the dive.

Back
Top Bottom