Bohol vs Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to dive Visayas this May, and Malapascua is my first destination. I will have few extra days for another site, and would appreciate comments on Bohol vs Moalboal. Please share your experience with both sites (diving, general excitement, easy to reach, costs) and whatever else you might want to share including jokes. I kind of lean towards Bohol but have not made my mind yet.

Many Thanks in advance,

:blinking:

Haiawata

If the sardines are still around at Moalboal then I would not hestitate to recommend it BUT.......
It is easier to reach Moalboal(2hrs by car) than Bohol(ferry+ car) and the general cost is lower as well. However, if the sardines has really gone then Bohol would be my suggestion.
BTW, Dumaguete is just couple of hrs away from Bohol.
Apo Island vs Balicasag?

Thanks, Centrals. Are there dive operators reaching Dumaguete from Bohol, or I would need to stay there? Any other sites you prefer over either Bohol or Moalboal? After Malapascua, I should have about five days altogether (and one more at the end to obey degassing). I don't believe that direct transportation to Bohol could be arranged from Malapascus, so one day I'll likely have to spend in Cebu City as a mid-point.

Pescador Island in Moalboal is great, but outside of that I found the rest kind of mediocre, so personally I find Bohol the better overall option. I wouldn't think you'd have any problem getting from Malapascua, down to Cebu and the ferry over to Bohol easily in one day, you'd just have to check the ferry times. I don't recall any operators in Bohol going as far as Dumaguete, which I'd pick over both the options you are considering. If I remember correctly, you can also catch ferries to/from Dumaguete from Cebu City.

I think either location is easy to get to from Malapascua via Cebu City(moalboal via land, Bohol and DMGTE via fast Ferry). The biggest draw consistant draw in Moalboal are lots and lots of Sea Turtles, you also have decent Macro and a good selection of dives sites, with 80% being wall dives... Bohol has Balicasag which is always one of my favorites, they have good drift diving there, schools of Jacks and you can always see a Turtle or Two. APO Island(via DMGTE) is a very nice 3 or 4 dives and it is the only place in the Philippines that I have seen Adult Humphead Wrasses. recently.

I think that all three of the choices are pretty quite relaxing places.

Good luck, if you need specific travel advice feel free to PM me...(even if you dont want to go to Moalboal :)...

Cheers,
Roger

Sea Explorers might run a trip to Dumaguete from Bohol but it won't be a same day return though.
Check the weather forecast while at Malapascua!! If it is not encouraging then go to Moalboal as you do not want to be stranded at Bohol. Ferry do get cancel for various reasons eg. not enough passengers or foul weather.

Have a nice trip.

Thanks for the advices, guys!

Any particular dive operators and places to stay at Moalboal, Bohol and Dumaguete? From previous threads, I learned that Savedra is recommended for Moalboal, is he still in business? I would love to see both Dumaguette and Dauin, they are on Negros, are they in a good shape after the last typhoon? Are there operations going from Moalboal to those places, I don't mind an overnight stand either on a boat or on land? Centrals, thanks for the advice on weather consideration.

Cheers everybody!

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Roger, do you know if there are dive operations going from Moalboal to Dumaguete and Dauin? That would be a nice day-long trip. Are sardines still around Moalbol?

Rumour has it that the sardines are back in town!!!! But how long are they going to hang around is anybody guess.
Nelson's dive shop(Ocean Safari) is pretty good value for P900.00 per dive. Eve's Kiosk, runs by his sister, next door is also recommended.
Five days is a bit of rush to do both Moalboal and Dumaguete.
Check the ferry schedule from Cebu to Dumaguete. It can be done within a day from Malapascua.
BTW, if you had never seen a whaleshark then you might consider Oslob. Some operators in Moalboal run trip to dive with them!! It is a circus.

I think Bohol is great although in my experience Balicasag is over rated unless perhaps you get great light with the school of jacks or occassional baracudas. I think there are some fantastic critters all along the Alona Beach dive sites. I plan to be over there in May as well traveling to Alona Beach (Philippine Paradise Divers - 3rd time) then to Malapascua (TSD). You can look at my Flickr site for critter photos taken a both locations.

Jason, the critters are supercool. I also heard that Dauin is known for weird sea dwellers. As the destination, what I am trying to achieve now is to combine Molboal with a dive safari to the Apa Island or Bohol but still did not find n operator that provide with a decent service, lodging, and safari altogether. Anybody there to help?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom