Bohol/Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving Bohol two years ago in August. Great dive spots on Balicasag island : walls, quite good viz, schools of over 200 barracudas, huge gorgonians on Panglao. It can compare more or less to Moalboal.
The weather can be a pain at that season there : on a week, I had 3 consecutive dive off days.

If ever you go diving on Bohol, you'll be staying on Alona beach, the resort place of Panglao island. Not a wild party like or girlie bars place, though a good choice of relaxed restaurants or bars at night.

Coming back on what PeterLim wrote on Manado (diving there last year). I agree lodging can be cheap on Bunaken island but it's a boring hell past 6PM and if you're staying on the mainland around Manado, it can be expensive.
Other points on Manado : fun or course diving is twice the Phils price and IMHO i've really not been impressed with Bunaken park diving. Much more attractive diving option would be Lembeh and Bangka straits, but strictly diving area.

Hi ALL,

YES Manado was great for diving, I was there in March!! Good Weather, vis, variety and etc. BUT one thing----------BORINGGGGGG at night. I stay at Santika resort and i think there were only 4 other rooms that was occupied in the whole resort. But once again, I thought the diving was great, I will try to get to lembeh straight next time. Since it was so boring at night time and that is why my friends ask me to do more research on this trip, so we can get the best from both sea and land activities.
To Peter: Well, I think we will spend the first day on commute and last day also. Which means I will only have 2 full days to dive....... However, I think Sipadan is divable year round right? But Bohol or Puerto Galera might have some bad weathers around this time of the year.. Difficult decisions!!! Please let me know what you guys think!!:confused:

Since you say you are flying out of Taiwan, have you considered diving locally, mainly Green Island and Orchid Island, off the southeast coast of Taiwan, accessible from Taitung.

4D/3N really means only 2 diving days, since you're going to spend at least half of the first day getting to your destination, all day if you choose Sipadan. If you choose a domestic location, you can fly out of Taipei at 6:45am and arrive on either Orchid Island or Green Island before 10:00.

The diving is really quite nice, except that there are not too many large fish, but the vis is consistantly over 20 meters, usually in the 30-40m range.

July is the peak of typhoon season, so the weather's going to be very hot and muggy unless there is a typhoon in the neighborhood. If you are unfortunate enough to pick a typhoon weekend....well, let's hope that doesn't happen. It's the same for both Taiwan and the Philippines. I don't think they have them in Sipadan. They're too close to the equator.

If you need more info on Orchid or Green Island, let me know and I'll pass some leads to you. Just got back from Orchid Island yesterday.....beautiful diving, perfect weather!

Manado - depends where you are located.

If you are coming all the way from france then yes go lembeh, but right now in asia there are many cheap flights / packages to manado bunaken region making for very cheap (but good) long weekend dive trips.

Was in Sipadan in Feb and it was same conditons as Peter described, basically not too impressed saw one Baracuda at baracuda point in 5 dives (thats 1 total), best part of the trip was macro at Kapalai/mabul. Went to Layang Layang in april and it was superb, H heads every day had to push past the grey reef sharks to get out into the blue, very good vis, good walls and when that part of dive is over the corals were pristine. would choose LL over sipadan any day. Better diving, better accomodation, better food.

I just returned from 3 weeks and Bali, Indonesia and did several dives while I toured around the coast. I thought the vis was better in June as oppose when I was last there in March 98 during rainy season. Still, the vis does not compare to my home island of Saipan, except for Menjangan Island.

Bali should be a cheap trip from Taiwan. Now, they are desprate for tourists....ask for a discount for a room or for anything and you should be able to get it.

I was really hoping to see Mola mola...but they dont come out til July-Sept....missed them by a few weeks....and will have to go back.

Bali may be cheaper than PI at this point...just tell them u dont want transport, sarong, massage, t-shirt, bemo, etc. If so....always ask for the morning or sunset price :)

To: Shanhai

I am in Taiwan right now and need to get out for visa issues so as my friends and that is why I am going to PI.

Well, I think the destination will be Puerto Galera! After several days of research we find Bohol is a great place to dive but the transit is just too long (only 1 flight to CEBU from Taipei; which arrives at CEBU 7:30 pm), plus there is no night life there. Puerto Galera might not be as good as Bohol but it is not that bad right? The only thing I am concern of is the weather..... No Typhoon please. I dove in Bali in FEB. this year, it was good but certainly not as splendid as Manado. But I'll certainly go back there to go to the norther part of Bali.

Once Agian, I appreciate all the info you guys left me and I'll certainly write about my PI trip here.

Good diving

Dear Friends:

Well, we finally decide to go to Puerto Galera next week and I will certainly post a trip report when I get back. Thank you for your wonderful information.

July in Bohol can be good on one side of the island and bad on the other. It was nice last week but can get a bit windy and rainy by end of July.

Good diving but not like Sipadan which has great sharks and giant turtles by the hundreds.

Bohol has some pelagics in early morning (EARLY) and some great bumphead parrots +300 pounds and many Napolean Wrasse on Snake Island off of Pamilacan.

Have fun at either!! Both are great.

Cebu Jeff

Just back yesterday from Philipines.

Bohol is nothing compared to two years ago, even Balacasag has been fished dry, dont waste your time.

Sipidan was great last year in May but Malapascua (North of Cebu) is better IMHO, about the same cost, similar environment and a little less trouble to get to.

The Mantas arrived last week and are being spoted almost every day and there are plenty of Threasher Sharks early each morning.

Didnt have time to look at all the macro stuff but still managed to see a pigmy seahorse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom