Bodega Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've also passed by a sealion carcass near the end of the breakwater... no parts missing. Now if it would have been missing it's head I wouldhave been a litle more spooked.

Justin
Nice report on Bodega.... It would be fun to go up there and do it just to say you have... and maybe pick up a couple of crabs for dinner

Ishie:
I don't think there's ever been a GW spotted at BW? Shallow quite a ways out (though I know, I know, they can be in any depth they can fit in), way too many people making too much noise, boat traffic, and such.

I have to admit, near the beginning of my dive experience, we made an ascent a bit far out and had to swim by a large sea lion carcass, and that was a bit unnerving, but the fact that the thing died and was out there getting white and bloated for a week without anything remotely large taking any pieces of it was encouraging.

After the initial attack I think sharks are pretty much done with them. If it was already in a state of decay I don't think any shark would be interested. From my understanding GW's are a few chomp eaters and they leave most of they prey behind. They are known to hit seals as they dive and take their heads off, or they slam them from behind and go for the fatty areas on the rump. If they ram them to stun then they will circle till they see that the prey is disabled then they will go in and take out a couple of hunks.

thats the spot exactly, stay at the campground right there and make a weekend of it, its nice, but the place fills fast. We parked out vehicle right by the restrooms and walked out, if i didn't mention it before, it would be fun to catch on an outgoing tide, riding the current out until it spits you into the open bay, then swim around the jetty back to the truck. In april I expect more rays and leopard sharks to be hanging out in the area, should make it fun.

Ben_ca:
To get back on the subject... If anyway want to dive Bodega shoot me a PM I'm up for a little exploring.

Was this the spot?

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...4,0,328,0,38.305667,123.045667,360,225,64,161

That's the spot.
I would stay out of the inside of the breakwalls, seems like a good way to get run over
and /or tangled in fishing line. I know a guy who dove from side to side across the bottom once. He heard nothing but boats going overhead and it is only 15-18 feet deep through there. All it would take is one of those big full displacement trawlers to cruise overhead and for you to stick your head up a little too high and WHAMMO!
I would advise checking out either of the breakwalls from the outside. I can tell you right now the vis is gonna suck.
I don't care if the vis is bad as long as there's cool or unusual stuff to discover.

ZKY:
That's the spot.
I would stay out of the inside of the breakwalls, seems like a good way to get run over
and /or tangled in fishing line. I know a guy who dove from side to side across the bottom once. He heard nothing but boats going overhead and it is only 15-18 feet deep through there. All it would take is one of those big full displacement trawlers to cruise overhead and for you to stick your head up a little too high and WHAMMO!
I would advise checking out either of the breakwalls from the outside. I can tell you right now the vis is gonna suck.
I don't care if the vis is bad as long as there's cool or unusual stuff to discover.

Crossing over to the other side with a small inflatable or a kayak would also be interesting.... it could be an interesting dive... a little treasure hunting expedition... there's probably some fishing poles and lot's of sinkers and lure down there.

Back
Top Bottom