Boating/Barge Incident- not diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The day before Mother's Day, my family was involved in an incident that I haven't posted yet. I've thought about it several times, and felt that maybe I should post what we learned, here, to perhaps help someone else avoid the same danger.

My sister & BIL bought a party barge, and we were all out at my other sister's lake house on the Sat. before mother's day. Big family & friends gathering. We had the barge loaded down with peeps, it had been out a couple of times already that day.

I had happily hopped on, flopped down in one of the front seats, enjoying the warm sun and nice breeze. The wind was high, and there were 4 of us sitting in the front area, and we kept getting sprayed by water from the front of the barge, as we moved to the area where some of the people were planning to fish. My sister remarked a couple of times that she had never seen the water spray people like that, and we were like, Yeah right!

Suddenly, the front end of the barge dipped down, hard. Water came pouring into the front, popping the retainer door open, and dipping the barge down even more. I knew were were about to sink, it happened so fast it was unbelievable. My BIL immediately killed the motor, the front of the barge lifted, the water rushed to the back and then back foward. I made sure the door was open, and most of it rushed back out, as the barge bobbed up and down and regained stability. The biggest casualty was the bucket of minnows that got overturned, but we managed to salvage most of them. :wink:

We were all almost too shocked to speak, other than everyone started freaking out, and asking where are the life jackets. We were okay, but scared. My other BIL went to the front, and realized that someone had not pulled the anchor completely inside the boat on the last trip, it had dropped in, and we had been dragging the anchor! Hence the spray (probably caught on minor objects down there) and then the big STOP must have happened when the anchor hit a tree or limb, or something.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. I've thought many times about how stupid we all were to just hop on any boat without knowing where the life jackets were (they should have been out- but they were under the front seat, that would have been the first area to sink.) It taught me that you just can't assume that you're safe on a watercraft, just because you have never had a problem before. I probably will always make sure I know where life jackets and anchors are in the future. I didn't really feel like posting this before now, but I really need to warn others to be very careful out there. I will certainly pay much more attention to my family's safety while boating.

Foo

we spend a lot of time on lake Superior, camping and cruising. we've always made a point to respect the big girl, when you take things for granted, things can go wrong very quickly.

glad no one was hurt.

i do have a friend that is becoming 'very comfortable' with superior. i guess he thinks he's paid his dues and has the lake conquered. unfotunately, if he keeps it up he will one day learn a lesson.

My father has always had a "party barge" as long as I can remember. Your incident reminded me of something similar that happened to us. We were enjoying a holiday weekend on the lake cruizing. We had the coolers on the front deck, out of the way. My Grandpa went to the front to make a sandwich & asked Grandma if she wanted one, "of course" She said. We were going about 10 knots when they both hit the front. Then my Uncle and his wife, then Cousins, then the water. Grandma & Grandpa weren't little people. Or anyone else. The front went down, coolers in the water, the gate was open, so the wall of water wiped out everything on the boat. Everyone was allright so we learned not to put the food in the front, and warn the family about proper weight distribution. Keep that in mind, I'm 35 now and have 22 years of great memories of Dads boat, hope you have as many or more!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom