Boater ignorance & a shore invite.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, them being too close to your flags is breaking the law, but if you shoot them with a PB gun, can't that be considered Assault? if not, then try chilling your PB's to harden them a bit, or just freeze them solid :eyebrow:

-Sparki:canada:

I checked in to it & I can have the boat operator charged with dangerous driving, operating a motor vehicle & unlawful operation of a pleasure craft in a restricted area. The boat operator can not claim ignorance in either case. It's hunting season!!!!

Did you regester your lethal weapon with the government?

altitudemike:
I checked in to it & I can have the boat operator charged with dangerous driving, operating a motor vehicle & unlawful operation of a pleasure craft in a restricted area. The boat operator can not claim ignorance in either case. It's hunting season!!!!

Sweet!

Let us know how it turns out!

what??!?! I wanted to drive my father's own boat and he wouldnt let me...why?because you NEED a boater's license!!!...I dont know about alberta(Im moving to calgary next summer,so I should know whats going on),but in Canada..you HAVE to have a license....in Hamilton(Ontario..where I live),youre driving a boat...no license??? thats a 10,000 dollar fine...but stealing a dive flag....thats like participating in a MURDER!! cuz theyre only endangering ur life even more!

No liscence needed in Alberta until 2009 I have checked in to it. I have also tried talking to boat rental companies & the marina about posting dive flag awareness posters but it will only happen If I pay for them. A paint ball gun is not a lethal weapon. Thats like asking the ignorant boater if he registered his prop.

I overheard a guy in a dive shop saying he was in a shallow cove trying to spearfish, and some fisherman motored right past his dive flag. He surfaced and told the fisherman off, and the fisherman told him to **** off. He went back down and shot his spear through the guy's hull. Guy get's mad, drives off, returns with a conservation agent following him, complaining that that's the diver who shot a hole in his boat. The conservation officer wrote the guy in the wounded boat a ticket for getting close enough to the diver for him to be able to shoot at him in the first place.

I wish there were stricter laws on boaters when divers are in the water. Lakes and oceans will always have people who just don't care. They won't care, all the way up to the point until they either kill a diver or hurt a diver in the water. People just dont care until something bad happens. Best of luck with the situation.

I have always thought that divers should attach a number of long (30 foot) polypropene lines to their float and tell everyone that they do so. These lines would ffoul a boat's prop. If boaters knew there were floating lines in the water near dive floats maybe they would stay clear.

Back
Top Bottom