Boater ignorance & a shore invite.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altitudemike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive in Sylvan Lake, a cold water lake in Alberta, Canada. Boaters up here are not required to have an operators liscence & have no idea what a dive flag or float is. I have even had a couple on a jet ski try to grab my DIVER BELOW float & flag that I pull while diving. I usually dive from my own boat. ( I have a boat operator liscence) I fly 3 dive flags & have someone in the boat while diving. My wife is constantly waving people away. I have grown very tired of this & now have my wife take video's of the boats so when I get out of the water I can track them down on the lake or in the marina & talk to them. I have had a few people who simply did not care & told me not to dive. This always gets them an invite to shore to discuss the matter without words. Why won't people just show a little respect & obey the law. Our local police are more worried about beer on a boat than water safety. I dive a lot with a lot of different people & there have been some close calls with boaters. I'm over it & want to steal the props off the boats of everyone who does not know what a dive flag is!!!!!! Just me venting. Thanks.

Why don't they need an operator's license? Sounds weird...

Mind you, a license doesn't replace a brain...

Good luck!!!

P.S. How 'bout fishing line in the prop? :D

The government says you have to have one by 2009 but that doesn't help right now. Fishing line in the prop is worth a shot.

altitudemike:
The government says you have to have one by 2009 but that doesn't help right now. Fishing line in the prop is worth a shot.

Have the person on the boat videotape the area where you're diving.

They might not need a licence, but I'd be willing to bet Canada has laws against reckless endangerment (jet-skiing through an area marked with a flag) and stealing things (the flag).

Terry

altitudemike:

Right... I had forgotten about the "staged approach" based on age...

Didn't know my neighbors to the east were requiring a boat operator's license.

What are qualifications? What kind of testing required? How often renewed? Need for all watercraft, or just for powered boats?

Wouldn't it be nice if just simply requiring a license would make people a little less stupid? MAybe we could with a license to drive a car then people would know and obey all the traffic laws?.... Take the video and the relevant penal code to the police and insist on a citation. I don't know how Canada works but in the US anyone can have a citation issued if you sign it and agree to appear in court. It's worth a shot. Good luck!
PS if that dosn't work, sneek up buhind threre boat and steal there beer....

Hello,

The "boaters card" is actually a competency card rather then a License, "PCOC" Pleasure Craft Operators Card. Sounds kinky:eyebrow: The card CANNOT be taken from you * no joke *, as it is not a license. HOWEVER: Depending on how severly dangerous or "incompetent" you are being, it can be reflected on your drivers license. We were told that you can actually have your Drivers License removed if your that hazardous.

What are qualifications? What kind of testing required?

I took the course in 2004 which means I was * counting on fingers * between 14 and 15. If there is an age qualification, I don't know it.

There is a test, which is quite simple. First the instructor teaches the class everything from what kind of flags, bouys, and markers you will come across, to how to pass another boat. After a few hours of slide shows and explanations, we were handed our test. If you are under a certain age, the test is a little bit easier, there are less questions and the Grade % that you must surpass is a bit lower then the adult Test.

From the Govn't of Canada:

"What is covered in the test?
The test, like a driving exam, has many questions that just require common sense. There are also questions that are more difficult and require either taking a course or having a broad knowledge of boating."

Uhhh... What about the fact that MANY people in this world have no common sense...

We had an 18' Fiberglass canoe with a 2hp Honda engine on it, and it didn't sink! Been cut off a few times from other boaters, also been harrased by wakes created by ignorant boaters who don't have the consideration to just "Slow down a bit".

How often renewed?

Once you have your card, there is no renewal at all.

Need for all watercraft, or just for powered boats?

Like previously stated
The government says you have to have one by 2009.

I do not know much about PCOC cards and regulations out side of Canada, but I think the card should be more of a "license" so that if you are being an incompetent / unsafe boater, you can have your card taken away.

Hope I helped :)

-Sparki:canada:

altitudemike:
I dive in Sylvan Lake, a cold water lake in Alberta, Canada.
Thats your problem right there.

altitudemike:
Boaters up here are not required to have an operators liscence & have no idea what a dive flag or float is. I have even had a couple on a jet ski try to grab my DIVER BELOW float & flag that I pull while diving. I usually dive from my own boat. ( I have a boat operator liscence) I fly 3 dive flags & have someone in the boat while diving. My wife is constantly waving people away. I have grown very tired of this & now have my wife take video's of the boats so when I get out of the water I can track them down on the lake or in the marina & talk to them. I have had a few people who simply did not care & told me not to dive. This always gets them an invite to shore to discuss the matter without words. Why won't people just show a little respect & obey the law. Our local police are more worried about beer on a boat than water safety. I dive a lot with a lot of different people & there have been some close calls with boaters. I'm over it & want to steal the props off the boats of everyone who does not know what a dive flag is!!!!!! Just me venting. Thanks.
Even when the new rules are in, they still won't know what a divers flag is.

Go to Twin Lakes instead. (its a better dive anyways)

I just dove twin lakes today! LOL. I always try to go during the week to avoid the classes & silt kicked up by the newbies. I noticed northwest divers sunk a fiberglass boat. When did they do that? I am going to Minnewanka on the 10 to 13th to dive the old townsite. If ya want to go I have room on my boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom