Boat Trailer, EZ Load Vs Calkins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm buying a used boat trailer for my 19 foot dive boat. The owner of a classified add said he has an EZ Loader, but when I went to look at it, it was a Calkins. Not sure about corect spelling. The trailer is in good condition and is what I was looking for.

I wanted to know if there is a market value difference between an EZ Loader and a Calkins if the size and conditions were equal?

I think EZ Loader is one of the most expensive, if not the expensive trailer on the market. It is a damn good trailer. There are lots of cheaper traailers out there, some of which are junk. I have had a Caulkins and I now have an EZ Loader (different boats). The Caulkins was very good, well built, and reliable. If it is the right price for you, I would buy it. Try to talk him down, of course, based on the false ad.

Good luck!

TT

Caulkins are fine trailers as are Easyloaders. Of course it depends on what model you are talking about and whether they have bunks vs rollers or some of both. Painted vs galvanized? Double axle or single? Brakes (hydraulic/electric?) or no brakes. Strap winch or cable?

Gotta compare apples to apples and also know what kind of trailer you really need for your boat.

Uncle Pug:
Caulkins are fine trailers as are Easyloaders. Of course it depends on what model you are talking about and whether they have bunks vs rollers or some of both. Painted vs galvanized? Double axle or single? Brakes (hydraulic/electric?) or no brakes. Strap winch or cable?

Gotta compare apples to apples and also know what kind of trailer you really need for your boat.

Hey Uncle,

Just to let you know, I purchased the Caulkins trailer. It had no rust on the main frame. Dual axel galvanized with surge brakes. I'm installing a strap winch and new brake lines next week. My dive boat motor in completed and ready to install. I will be installing a fresh water cooling system for my new motor as well.

It wont be long now.

2Dive4fun:
I'm buying a used boat trailer for my 19 foot dive boat. The owner of a classified add said he has an EZ Loader, but when I went to look at it, it was a Calkins. Not sure about corect spelling. The trailer is in good condition and is what I was looking for.

I wanted to know if there is a market value difference between an EZ Loader and a Calkins if the size and conditions were equal?

So what makes this 19' boat a 'dive' boat? what are some of the features of it? Got a picture?

It floats and holds dive gear. Pictures will come later. Did you see my dive ladder?

Thanks Uncle,

I went and purchased all new Hot Dip Galv. Bolts, nuts, and washers last night. I plan on pulling all the rusted ones out and replacing them today. I want to design my own brake flush system. Do you have any ideas? My wife thinks I'm crazy with all the energy I focus on this trailer.

I'm working on a tank support rack / portable rack, that can be used in the truck or boat. I purchased HD PVC pipe that is schedule 80, 1/2" thick wall with a 7.5" ID. A tank boot will fit right into to opening. Cut a 6" section of pipe and create and open "C" and it should hold my E-8 and LP tanks just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom