Boat Safety Items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. Will suggest that to Dennis (taylode), my husband.

Evelyn

Bill51:
Digital Selective Calling.

DSC capable VHF transceivers can be coupled to a GPS so they know your exact location at all times. When you get a DSC VHF you apply for a unique ID code from the FCC and they store emergency information about you, your boat, and emergency contacts for you and make it available to the Coast Guard.

In case of emergency at sea all you have to do is hit the DSC button on the VHF and it automatically starts sending a distress signal including your ID and position and many other VHF units as well as the Coast Guard immediately know where the boat is that’s in trouble. Some of the new chart plotters will display exactly where you are so any boats within range will know exactly how to find you. Some of the more advanced DSC units also have a nature of emergency feature where they can transmit that you’re sinking, have a fire, have a medical emergency, or other potential problems at sea so potential rescuers know what to expect before they get to you.

There’s plenty of other fancy tricks DSC can do like programming it so a friend can interrogate your VHF and know where you’re at, as well as giving you much better and more secure communications.

A dedicated tool box, wrenches, screwdrivers, cheap voltmeter, small wire brush for corrosion, WD40, hose clamps, etc. You don't want to break down and remember that you took the tool box off a week ago to work on a house project.

One thing to remember about DSC distress messages is that they
only contain your position to one minute of lat/lon, or about a mile.

I'm not saying they are bad (I have a two-digit MMSI from Boat
US), just that it's only going to get help close, not alongside.

And DSC doesn't make comms any more secure.

Chuck

Also consider a 6 x 6' waterproof tarp with 10' of line on each corner (good as an emergency patch if you hit something below the waterline) and a set of wood plugs for pluging broken through hull fittings.

frogman_5:
Also consider a 6 x 6' waterproof tarp with 10' of line on each corner (good as an emergency patch if you hit something below the waterline) and a set of wood plugs for pluging broken through hull fittings.

Or have a Boston Whaler where a hole in the hull is not a potentially fatal problem. ;-)

Frogman's advice is good if you do have a boat that can sink. There's a body of opinion
that a triangular tarp is good. You can run one line straight forward to take the load, two
lines aft and to the sides to keep it in place port/starboard.

I'm in the Coast Guard so I deal with these questions day in and day out. I can't emphasize enough that an EPIRB would be an invaluable addition to your boat outfit.

Everything else seems to be covered in the thread, but one other recommendation I have for you is a Vessel Courtesy Examinantion. The Coast Guard Auxilliary can make an appointment to meet with you at your convenience and check to make sure your boat meets all of the federal requirements and they also will give you advice and tips.

Here is a link that will help you arrange a safety check:
http://www.safetyseal.net/

As a boarding officer, I can tell you that if I see a current safety check sticker, you will most likely not be boarded at all.

If you are a new boater, a boating education class would highly be recommended. That same site has a link to the Aux site that can give you class info.

If anyone has questions on these programs, I'd love to hook you up on whatever infor you need!

Saltines. In case of seasickness. Not really a safety item.

As for safety items, PFDs, correct for the environment boating in.
I heard the other day a 18yo boy drowned up at Tahoe, blamed on a tsunami caused by the 4.8 quake throwing him overboard, but I say it was more likely his lack of wearing a PFD

Sadly, most fatal boating accidents involve people who have life jackets on board their boats but are not wearing them.
http://www.tahoethisweek.com/html/boatingtip02.html

only thing I can think of is a dedicated heaving line(50-100ft) with a boat bumper on one end. I was swimming against a current and the DM of the diveboat had this set up ....tossed it to me and my dive buddy and it was a great safety feature....would never had made it back to the boat without it.

Chuck Tribolet:
One thing to remember about DSC distress messages is that they
only contain your position to one minute of lat/lon, or about a mile.

I'm not saying they are bad (I have a two-digit MMSI from Boat
US), just that it's only going to get help close, not alongside.

And DSC doesn't make comms any more secure.

Chuck
One point about VHF-FM DSC As of today, very few Coast Guard units have the capabiliy to receive the alert yet. Its coming, but slow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom