Boat Ride Time to Dive Sites Phuket area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber -- I've also raised this question on nearby dive sites in Thailand as I'm also not so fond of long boat rides or spending the whole day on a boat. I would suggest if this is really crucial for you that you go somewhere like the Philippines instead where the sites tend to be a lot closer to shore (just a few minutes by boat). For example a place which I really enjoyed and didn't require long rides was Puerto Galera. We did three dives a day and all were amazing.

Or I'm sure you have already heard about places like Sipadan, if you are more concerned with getting in as many dives as possible.

What are the average boat ride times from Phuket Island to the more popular sites they visit? Most places in the Caribbean (where all my diving has been done thus far) have very short ride times (if any at all) and although I see lots of information about dive sites, and discussion of day-boats, day-trips, overnight trips, etc., I don't remember anyone talking about how long the rides are to get to the sites.

TIA
You have to allow at least 8-9 hrs for the fun of doing 2-3 dives!!!!!!
Most operators do not run their own day boats, they just pool the divers together. Therefore 20-30 divers on one boat is very common. They will pick you up in the morning and other divers from various hotels at various localities in Phuket. This would take around 1hr depends on the booking. Imagine you are the first to get pick up BUT the last to be dropped off after the dive, time for evening meal!!!!
Book through the operators which only accept their own clients. If there is any complaint you can deal directly with them rather than.......
I would OLY do one day dive before a liveaboard trip in Phuket.
If you are looking for 4-5 dives a day, you are looking in a wrong place except on liveaboard.
You are better off in Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom