Boat Ride Time to Dive Sites Phuket area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
What are the average boat ride times from Phuket Island to the more popular sites they visit? Most places in the Caribbean (where all my diving has been done thus far) have very short ride times (if any at all) and although I see lots of information about dive sites, and discussion of day-boats, day-trips, overnight trips, etc., I don't remember anyone talking about how long the rides are to get to the sites.

TIA

Woah... Seriously?

You could get a speed boat but what's the rush and it would cost more.

Well I just returned from Roatan. I could swim out to our dive sites before the boat got everyone onboard and anchored. Call me spoiled I guess.

Suspend judgment, Sloeber. The boats are different, the level of customer service is different, the marine life is different. Put away your preconceptions and try it for yourself. A typical 1.5 hour boat ride to the dive sites goes pretty fast, actually. Many things that would be done on shore at a place with short boat rides are done on the boat here--e.g., breakfast, equipment preparation, briefings, putting on wetsuits, etc. Before you know it, you're at the dive site, and you've had time to snap some topside photos of our beautiful scenery, as well. Keep in mind, too, that we don't go back to shore between dives, but spend the time on board having a hot buffet lunch and enjoying surface intervals with fresh fruit and time to look up finds in fish books. On the way back after two or three dives, people enjoy another snack, take more pictures, fill out their log books, shower, take a nap on the sun deck, etc. Again, before you know it, you're back on land with nothing to do but figure out what to do with the rest of your day. Personally I have no issue with our long boat rides in order to enjoy the diving here. (BTW, yes, I've dived in Honduras, Mexico, Belize, Bonaire, Caymans, etc.)

The format in Thailand is more layed back with a two tank trip being essentially a full day including lunch. They do not do two tank dives and the morning and another in the afternoon with a rushed surface interval in between because they need to take another group out.

Sit back and enjoy. Your no longer in Kansas Dorothy.:D

John

The format in Thailand is more layed back with a two tank trip being essentially a full day including lunch. They do not do two tank dives and the morning and another in the afternoon with a rushed surface interval in between because they need to take another group out.

Sit back and enjoy. Your no longer in Kansas Dorothy.:D

John

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'm sure I'll experience it for myself soon enough, but it sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize getting in only 2 dives a day as being relaxing and not rushed. We all have our own pace, but during the time it takes you to complete your 2 dives, I have made 5 in places like Bonaire or Roatan. Plus enjoyed a breakfast and lunch at a leisurely pace. I guess when you live there it really doesn't matter much, but if I'm considering a 1 or 2 week getaway do I want to pay for boat rides or underwater time?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'm sure I'll experience it for myself soon enough, but it sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize getting in only 2 dives a day as being relaxing and not rushed. We all have our own pace, but during the time it takes you to complete your 2 dives, I have made 5 in places like Bonaire or Roatan. Plus enjoyed a breakfast and lunch at a leisurely pace. I guess when you live there it really doesn't matter much, but if I'm considering a 1 or 2 week getaway do I want to pay for boat rides or underwater time?

I am simply giving you what is the customary norm for the area. If you have the bucks and are prepared to pay for your underwater time then hire a speed boat to cater to your needs or book yourself on a live aboard. But from the tone of your other posts I suspect your pockets are not as deep as your dive experience.

I am confused as to why you mention a 1 or 2 week get away in this post when some of your others seem to indicate a 6 month stay?

None the less. Enjoy the trip you will need to deal with the customary pace and issues for real when you arrive and will find out for yourself just how different it is then the USA.

John

If you want to experience more than two or three dives per day, you need to be looking at liveaboards. The time it takes to get to the better sites, because of the distance and the type of boats, limits the numbers of available dives per day. That said, the diving in the Caribbean doesn't compare to other parts of the Pacific or Indian oceans so you will probably be blown away especially if you go on a liveaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom