Boat review and trip report - Mr C on July 17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday I went out on Mr. C out of San Pedro to Catalina Island for three dives. Here’s my trip report, and review of the boat.

First, the boat review: the dive boat Mr. C was recently sold to a new owner, who is working very diligently on upgrading the boat and improving the experience. There is still work to be done, but Pat seems very passionate about making this boat into a premium SoCal dive boat, and ensuring that all guests have a fabulous experience.

The first thing he’s done right: The crew! He’s got two DMs, Walt and Jorge, as well as another helper (drawing a blank on his name – sorry!) and the boat captain, Stan. All are experienced divers and most are, in fact, are actually instructors for LA County and Naui! So this boat has a LOT of expertise and rescue ability. I can’t think of a boat on which I’d feel safer, just based on the experience level of the crew. They are also extremely personable and friendly, and made a point of getting to know and chat with every single diver on board. And here’s something a bit different – they actually have an in-water DM! Not like “resort dive” boats in tropical areas where the divers are led by the nose by a babysitting DM – just like every other SoCal dive boat, you are still expected to dive your own plan. But Walt goes on every dive, and you can see him down there flitting around among the various buddy groups, taking photos with his huge rig, many of which I’m sure will end up on Mr C’s facebook page.

It was also refreshing to see Pat, the owner, hanging out and communing with the guests. Not all of our SoCal boat owners are this friendly!

The boat itself is comfortable, although smaller (and slower) than many of the other dive boats in the area. But smaller can be good! I’ve been on the bigger boats with a full load, and you can feel rather lost in the crowd. Mr. C is a smaller boat, and I believe their max load would be 30, although they told me they won’t take more than 20-25. 20 would be optimum on that boat. We had 17, and it felt perfect.

There’s room for improvement in the area of comfort – there’s not a lot of seating, and most of the boat is outside (only a small protected seating area). But Pat tells me he’s planning on adding some overhead protection and bench seating. In the meantime, nobody seemed to have any problems finding a comfortable place to hang out.

One thing it does have is very comfortable bunks! And they are bright and airy, and easily accessed, as opposed to many other dive boats, whose bunk areas are dark, dingy, crowded and closed up. Several of us went below to nap on the return trip, and it was VERY comfy! The only thing that I’d suggest they need is to add curtains for the bunks if they plan on doing any multi-day trips on this boat. I believe they had them and they were removed?

Anyway, they have a good compressor and did a decent job getting all the fills done during the surface intervals – although we had a short surface interval in between dives #2 and 3, so they were still filling when the gate was opened. It wasn’t a problem – everyone who wanted to dive was able to get in, and did their full dive. This shortened surface interval happened due to a lengthened interval between dives 1 & 2 – there was problem with anchoring for dive #2 due to an equipment malfunction. Fortunately they were able to get it fixed quickly, and they made a point of ensuring that we still got to do our full dive #3.

The crew was very conscientious in terms of dive briefings and roll calls…and I’ve seen other boats do a haphazard job of roll calls, something that irritates me to no end. Haphazard roll calls are simply foolish and dangerous. So kudos to the Mr. C crew for being so thorough in that regard.

Entries and exits from this boat are great! They have gates on both sides and it’s a nice short drop. The swim step is HUGE, and easy to hoist yourself up on – and a crew member was always right there to remove my fins. I also appreciate the short ladder climb back up onto the boat – as opposed to some larger boats that have a heckuva climb, which can be challenging on these ol’ thighs. :wink:

The one area I believe they need to step up in a bit is the area of food – although I think you’ll see some improvements in that area very soon! :D Part of the problem is that their regular cook (Jorge’s girlfriend, I take it) is out of the country for three months, so they hired someone for the interim, but she wasn’t able to work yesterday so poor Jorge was doing galley duty. Still, he did a great job and produced some delicious burgers with grilled onions. But it’s important to remember that this boat is significantly less expensive than most other dive boats in the region – most 3-dive day trips are only $90! And that includes air and food! So it’s just not possible to do the gourmet thang that you find on, say, Peace, at those prices. Anyway, as a boat owner and experienced “galley wench” myself, I’m giving them some assistance in that area, and you may even find me in the galley on some future trips…such as, next Saturday! :D

So, on to the dive reports – we did three spots all near the Isthmus. The first one I can’t recall the name of – it was a small cove just west of the harbor, and it had some awesome rocky reefs and kelp beds! I’m told that giant sea bass have been spotted in this site, but sadly we didn’t see any. We did see a ton of garibaldi – I’d forgotten how ubiquitous they are out at Catalina! We see them in the northern islands too, of course, but not nearly as many as here. The second site was a hidden reef out by bird rock, which was a beautiful spot – it had a large, tumbled-boulder shallow region, with steep walls that seemed to go waaaay deep, so it made for some beautiful underwater scenery. The third site was up against the island, near Crane Point – this was another beautiful scene, with a steeply slanted wall dotted with kelp. The vis was decent at all the sites – it ranged from 20 to 30, with the second site I believe having the best vis. The water temps were mostly 63, until we got to that third site, when we hit a thermocline of 57! BRRR!

Here are a few photos I took. I’m a noob at underwater photography, so please don’t even think about comparing my photos to those posted by some of our incredible photographers who frequent this board. :wink: I got a new camera, housing and strobe, but I’m still figuring out how it all works, and how to use the manual settings. I ended up with a lot of overexposures, and way more backscatter than I was hoping for (I’ve gotta figure out how to best place that strobe to eliminate all that backscatter).

Early morning departure – guests and crew chatting and getting to know each other in the small sitting area.
006.jpg

Pat and Walt planning out the day
008.jpg

A couple of the huge (and very aggressive!) garibaldi that were everwhere
066.jpg

016.jpg

Saw this octo hiding in a rock – it was hard to get him lit up with my external strobe, and I wasn’t sure I even got him until I got home and downloaded the pics!
097.jpg

He’s winking at me!
098.jpg

We spotted this horn shark on the second dive. Hard to avoid the backscatter since, with the ledge over him, I couldn’t get my strobe above him.
086.jpg

Walt above the surface…
081.jpg

…and below it
010.jpg

My dive buddy Al
051.jpg

A sheephead saying hello
113.jpg

Gotta work on those macro settings – I was hoping for a sharper image on this little guy
053.jpg

A juvi tree fish
096.jpg

The last site was filled with these huge bait balls!
103.jpg
151.jpg

Thanks for the photos, always love to see those. I think you may be on your way to becoming quite the underwater photographer.
Your report was excellent and very detailed. I think you should be an online critic for dive boats.
Anyway, you have convinced me to give the Mr. C a try again, hopefully very soon.
Couple of questions for you. Were there enough bunks for everyone. Last time I used Mr. C, not everyone was able to get a bunk.
Do they fill to 3500 psi for HP steel tanks?
Oh and drinks, bring your own or do they provide?
How long did it take you to get to the first dive spot, 2 hours?

Glad you had 3 good dives, it was an outstanding day for sure.
Brrrr......to the thermocline.

Thanks! I got tired of all my dive photos being flat and blue, so I splurged and bought a half-way decent rig. Now I just gotta learn to understand it! I've never gotten into topside photography, so I really don't have all that stuff about apertures and shutter speeds in my head. I've been reading a ton, but there's a lot to absorb.

So to answer your questions: I'm not sure how many bunks they have, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hold a full load. I think they're fine for day trips - I can't imagine that everyone on the trip will want to nap! But if they're going to do multi-day trips, I expect it will have to be a smaller load.

I don't have a steel tank - I use an AL-80 - but both of my fills were at 3200. Don't know if that answers your question, but they are definintely a very accommodating crew, so I'm sure they'd give you the best fill possible!

They provided all drinks - they had a cooler filled with water bottles, and various types of sodas (we gals were thrilled to see they had Coke Zero, our favorite - and they also had a wide variety of others, such as gingerale, root beer, etc.) Oh, by the way, unlike many other boats, they happily allow you to bring coolers, including beer for the ride home. Which I thought was very accommodating!

I'm told that not all of their booked trips are food-inclusive - I guess in the past they used to sell their food. But that might change, given that the trend in SoCal dive boats these days seems to include food and fills. This trip was food/fill inclusive, and I know that next weeks' trips are as well. They might just abandon the non-inclusive trips altogether. That would be my recommendation...unless they have a strong demand for even LESS expensive trips. But sheesh, how much lower can they go than $90 a person? I think it's a bargain!

As for timing - I think it took a bit more than 2 hours to get to the first dive site. They are not a fast boat - that's one thing about this boat: if you're gonna go on a day trip with them, ya gotta expect you'll be with them all day! :wink: We didn't get back until, I think, around 7:00. Although we were delayed a bit due to that anchoring issue they had - they wanted to make sure we got in our full last dive, so we ended up leaving the island later than anticipated. But the good news is, they are such a friendly bunch, the travel time flew by! In fact, there was family on board who'd been trying to decide between taking a ferry out to Catalina and diving the park, vs. going on Mr. C. Afterwards I chatted with the wife, and she was raving about how much fun they had and how glad they were that they made this decision. She kept telling me what a great time they had, and what a fun boat it was. I'm not too bothered by the slowness of the boat...it's not the most important aspect to me.

Glad to hear you're going to give them another try! They are just now starting to try to re-build a following, and I'm impressed by their passion and efforts.

Sounds like they're getting there. The last time I went, there was a deck hand who stood on the deck officiously looking down on me and other divers struggling to get our fins off. Sounds like they fixed that problem.

As far as Jorge's girlfriend goes (aka The Valkyrie), yes, she's a mean cook. Too bad she was there.

I think that $90 is pretty cheap for an all-inclusive trip. However, I still don't think that they can match prices with the Great Escape or the Spectre because no matter what they do, the boat itself is the limiting factor. I can see paying $100 or $105 for the trip though.

BTW, sweet shots of the octopus.

My highlight of this weekend's dive was cutting up abandoned fishing lines and removing fishing hooks from the lake floor. Quite exciting.

Thanks for the update Leejnd. I certainly don't mind the slower boats, more time to relax, nap, or chat with everyone. Price is right and fills at 3200psi would make me quite happy.
Now if I can just find their schedule somewhere. Sea-d-Sea had a schedule, but it did not say anything about this last weekend.

Hi Blue Steal. The MR C has a new website where you can find their schedule and book trips online. The site is WWW mrcscuba DOT com. The extended schedule will be coming soon, but for now the schedule runs through the end of September, including our Labor Day overnight trip, for $175.

BTW - We will be giving our menu a face-lift quite soon. We believe it is entirely possible to have an all inclusive 3-Dive Catalina trip for $90 WITH a great menu.

Happy Diving!

Back
Top Bottom