Boat Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9driver

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are getting closer and closer to moving from TX to the southwestern part of FL. I have a dream of being able to fish and dive a little in the gulf(I know it's not the best) as well as being able to trailer my boat to the Keys for a long dive weekend.

Ideally, I'd like something we could spend the weekend on, as well as dive off of. Of course I want it to be sea worthy, and able to ride reasonably well.

Am I living in a dream world, wanting a boat that will do all that, and be trailerable? If not can you FL guys and gals make any recommendations?

Thanks!!

I can make lots of recommendations depending on your price range and if you have a lot of captial up front or want something inexpensive to get your feet wet and learn the ropes. I even have a few "fix-er-up" types that have good running motors that I can point you to. :)

A dream is a dream until you make it reality!

www.TwinVee.com all the way... by far the best all-around boat for multiple activities.

It's a power catamaran. This has several advantages over deep-vee boats; three of which are:

1) a lot less engine power to come up on plane. This means you can spend a lot less on engines, and afford two rather than one. If one goes out you have the other get you home. BTW - you can plane on one engine.

2) shallow shallow draft. This means it's easy to navigate right around shallow areas like beaches. We ground the bow of our boats directly onto sandy beaches all the time in order to un/load equipment, people, and supplies.

3) a lot less roll in big seas. I have taken this boat through ten foot seas and while I wasn't exactly moving fast it got me home safe. At no time did I feel out of control.

4) For divers and fishing there is plenty of gear up space in versions like the hawiian (although we have a center console)

5) They are -overall- a lot less expensive than comparable deep-vee boats of the same length

Budgetwise, I'm thinking about 50K max. I could go a bit higher if needed. (Now you can tell me I'm dreaming!! :wink: )

Zboss, what kind of range can you get out of the cats?

Colin,

If you have less expensive alternatives in mind, I'm all ears. 50K is about the max, not what I'm hoping to spend! :)

CBulla:
I even have a few "fix-er-up" types that have good running motors that I can point you to. :)

A dream is a dream until you make it reality!

just curious what range are you talking about here sir?

thanks,
steve

Thanks, Quimby. Believe me, I've looked all over Boat Trader. My problem isn't finding boats for sale, but in knowing kinda what to look for. I've only had i/o runabouts and wave runners on the lakes here in TX. Shopping for a boat to head out into the ocean is an environment I'm not familiar with. I was hoping to get some ideas on what kinds of boats would be good for my anticipated usage. Hull types, diesel vs gas, I/O vs outboard, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom