Boat Parkas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there some special aspect for diving, wetsuit, saltwater,? that a special divers wind/rain parka is good vs a general hiking type? I was just looking thru a couple of my outlet outdoor catalogues for something like that.

I'm still looking for one made from neoprene here in the states. They were popular in Okinawa , and lines with fleece . I may just have to get one imported .

Why not just buy a regular, everyday winter parka? I take whatever I think is warmest that I own before heading out the door on a dive trip. I have a Mustang floater jacket. It's orange, a PFD, and it's warm, comfortable, and great for in the boat or on shore. I'm a Ground Search and Rescue member, and I wear it in the woods, too.

RE: Land's End Rain Slicker.......The 2XL is listed under the OVERSTOCK category. If you go to Men's or Women's outerwear you will find other sizes and other colors.

As long as the fleece lining is a good quality like Polartech anything’s fine, but some of the cheaper linings trap water and become real heavy and lose their insulation value real quick. I have an old Columbia mountain parka with a zip in Polartech lining that is long enough for me to pull my legs up into it that I love for cold dive trips.

rossjc:
I saw a guy on a boat who put on a parka type jacket over his wetsuit between dives, looked nice while I froze my A-- off. Does anyone know what they are called...looked online but can't find what I'm looking for.
Since you're in SoCal, the boat coat you most likely saw was the one from Dive Gear that was referenced a few posts above. They're pretty popular around here for the reasons you already figured out. Around $110 or so, if memory serves.

Pacific Wilderness (they have shops in Orange and San Pedro) has nicer ones for about $10 more. The Dive Gear ones are pretty good, and widely available (if you're in Camarillo, I know the dive shop at the Ventura harbor area carries them), but there are a few little things that I like about the PacWild coat better. (No craptastic velcro wrist closures, for one thing, and slightly heavier-duty)

This is the Dive 44 one: http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Dive44Jacket
dive44jacket.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom