Boat Finder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyw90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm not sure what this is, or if it is even something I thought it was....

I have been on a couple of dives on a local dive boat where a couple hung a cynlinder off the bow of the boat, and I think it was some sort of boat finder - something that would show them the direction back to the boat.

Does this make any sense? Anybody know what that is called, and where to find it? I could see how it might be useful for our dive club.

Google Desert Star Systems. They have two systems.

One of the best boat finders is a reel tied off near the anchor line. The second best is a compass. Much of it depends on the vis. If you are 8ft from the anchor and can't see it...

The Sport Tracker is much better than the Scout. Both are not perfect at finding the boat. I have a Scout setup and rarely use it. They are commonly used by bug hunters though.

The system referred to in the original post is almost certainly a Desert Star Sport tracker. The Scout system looks like an oversized magic marker, and is severely limited in range. The Sport system consists of two pop-can sized cylinders, one of which you hang from the boat and which transmits a homing signal, and the other you carry with you and which can detect the homing signal's direction from a considerable distance. I have one of these systems, and have commented on it at the Desert Star manufacturer's forum here at Scubaboard. Yes, it is rather pricy, but I think it is remarkably effective for what it costs. There is nothing else like it on the market at anywhere near it's price range, as least that I am aware of. It is not a substitute for good navigation skills, and at least one boat operator has told me that he thinks they repel dolphins with their sonic pulses, but if you have ever found yourself in a situation where you are unsure of your boat's location, this can take a lot of the uncertainty out of the equation. Woody

I have seen a few of these around on boats. Very interesting stuff but the owners of said units frequently say that there are limitations on signal strength and reliability. Said owners still carried a wreck reel. Been a while since I have seen one, maybe they have improved? I don't remember any specific brands anyway. I do a lot of shipwreck penetration so I think I'm sticking to the old fashion wreck reel for now...

Is this compnay that males them out of business? Cant find it for sale anywhere

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom