Boat explosion - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heard from people on a boat that was around the corner when it happened - definete gas vapor explosion but also a ruptured of some sort scuba tank that ended up in the water, whether by the explosion or thrown there by someone........

If you have any doubts about what a pressure vessel failure can do, check these out…
Scuba tank explodes, kills man - CNN Video

I've had a dive friend killed by an exploded scuba tank, so yes, I follow that perspective but if you look at the damage to the boat, I think you may discover why I don't believe it to be the case here.

I've had a dive friend killed by an exploded scuba tank, so yes, I follow that perspective but if you look at the damage to the boat, I think you may discover why I don't believe it to be the case here.
That and we already know what happened. It was the gas fumes under the floor that had been complained about for weeks.

I can also confirm that it was a scuba du boat.

It sounds like very poor maintenance lead to a very close call that could have been so much worse. Luckily only the captain, who happens to be the person responsible, was hurt and not severely.

If the boat is ruined, 80-90% of the value is the park license that they can move to another boat, so a loss but only partial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom