Boat Etiquette...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy wasn't rude. He was just trying to be funny. Who knows maybe he was just trying to get some people laughing. As far as the rinse tank goes if you are relying on that to take care of your reg you are crazy. That quick dunk in the rinse tank isn't doing a thing for your regs. BUT if you want to get back at rude divers try these. Dish soap in the exhuast tee, freeze their wet suit in a block of ice. Food dye in the booties. I could go on but use your imagination and send a message covertly-Dive Safe-Dive Alot-M

Just to clarify -- he was wearing a 3 mm full suit. While a dry suit rinse might contain his fluids a bit, the wet suit surely let them loose in the dunk tank! And I wasn't relying on the quick dunk to clean my reg. I just wanted to get the bulk of the salt, etc., off it on the boat. I would up soaking it at the hotel later, as well. Thanks for all the comments!

Sounds like the captain was asleep at the wheel.. OTOH, most make only one dive trip every year or so on a boat. They are trained to dive but don't have the first clue about a boat. Captain's Briefing.....that is what is done on any good vessel operation before the vessel leaves dockside. Always preceeds any DM orientations, etc. If you get a good Captain's Briefing from your dive OP, you can pretty well rest assured you've got a good operator.

Apologies, I can really get irate about conduct on boats.

regards,

Regards,

WreckWriter:
Its common practice. Those of you who are complaining simply don't take boat rides with people who take a lot of boat rides. Dry suit divers do this regularly, its the best way to rinse a drysuit.

WW
I've seen a number of drysuit divers do this, but never a wetsuit diver. I'm not sure if I would really care one way or the other.

WreckWriter:
Its common practice. Those of you who are complaining simply don't take boat rides with people who take a lot of boat rides. Dry suit divers do this regularly, its the best way to rinse a drysuit.

WW

Its common practice for a diver to jump into the rinse tank, suited up?

Wow....

On day boats, I have used the sprayers that some boats provide, but have never seen anyone jump into the rinse tank...

The only liveaboard I've been on had several showers....

Learn something new every day....LOL...guess I'll have to stay away from those boats.

Lots of places don't seem to give boat briefings any more and I sure think it would be helpful. Too many people seem clueless about basic boat etiquette and for some I suspect it's simply because no one ever told them (though you'd hope some things would just be common sense.)

It's too much if everyone has to hear it every time there's a new diver on the boat. What I've seen some places do is, unless they've got a boat of mostly new arrivals, they take the new people aside and give the boat lowdown sometime on the trip. That seems to work pretty well.

Two things: 1. maybe he hadn´t pee.
2. I´ve seen many diving centers where the gear-rinsing barrel is used to rinse the suits. I don´t use the barrel in those cases but shower my reg.
And...I don´t pee in my suit.

ClassAction:
During a recent dive trip to Aruba (and my first series of boat dives), I noticed one diver climb into the gear-rinsing barrel with his suit on. Yuck! As if I'd like his pee etc. on my first stage! Is this normal/accepted? The barrel is for gear, not your dirty body! (Right?)

I have 2 rinse tanks at the dock for people to rinse ALL their gear in. There is also a shower on the dock for people to rinse themselves off in.

There are 2 buckets on the boat for masks, cameras, dive computers etc. I had a guy wash his feet in one of them last summer.

The world is full of Alpha-Hotels. :furious:

Usually the rule is regs, computers and masks first, before the rest of the gear goes in the water. Nothing but cameras in the camera tank. Some places not only allow the gear tank to become a community tub but actually add detergent to it on the ride home and wash everyone's full kit. Sounds like you had a newby that didn't know the procedures and was too thoughtless to ask. Maybe the best thing to do would have been to ask the Captain, sotto voce, if you could use the rinse shower for your gear since the dunk tank has been converted into a bathtub and then do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom