Boat Diving Questions - impatient crew and new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have had to be quite short and firm with boat crew on occasion. When the crew says, "This is a hot drop, please be ready to get in the water when we tell you," we are very careful to make sure we ARE ready well beforehand, including buddy checks. When that warning is not given, we try to be ready, but if we have not done our buddy checks before they start dropping divers, WE DON'T GO UNTIL WE ARE READY. As far as being told to jump off without things secured -- well, I watched a friend of mine ruin a $1500 canister light, because he tried to giant stride off the boat with the cord unsecured, and it caught on the rail on the way down. What if that's your second stage or pressure gauge that does that? The reason we secure things is to keep them from getting caught on stuff, and boats consist of stuff, too!

In my experience, this is really discouragingly common, and the only defense is to hold your ground and tell people you were taught to do a buddy check, and by gum, you are going to DO it before you dive. (Peter used some profane language to a boat captain, who was also a PADI instructor, when he actually began to make FUN of us for doing checks before we got in the water. After all, he is supposed to TEACH people to do that!)

We have had to be quite short and firm with boat crew on occasion. When the crew says, "This is a hot drop, please be ready to get in the water when we tell you," we are very careful to make sure we ARE ready well beforehand, including buddy checks. When that warning is not given, we try to be ready, but if we have not done our buddy checks before they start dropping divers, WE DON'T GO UNTIL WE ARE READY. As far as being told to jump off without things secured -- well, I watched a friend of mine ruin a $1500 canister light, because he tried to giant stride off the boat with the cord unsecured, and it caught on the rail on the way down. What if that's your second stage or pressure gauge that does that? The reason we secure things is to keep them from getting caught on stuff, and boats consist of stuff, too!

In my experience, this is really discouragingly common, and the only defense is to hold your ground and tell people you were taught to do a buddy check, and by gum, you are going to DO it before you dive. (Peter used some profane language to a boat captain, who was also a PADI instructor, when he actually began to make FUN of us for doing checks before we got in the water. After all, he is supposed to TEACH people to do that!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom