Boat Diving Questions - impatient crew and new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, here's some more info.

No, it was not a drift dive. Yes, there was a 10 minute warning. Diver1 and Diver2 just needed to get the BC and fins/mask on when the boat reached the destination; wetsuits were already on and BC/reg were set up and ready. There really wasn't a "line" - divers just went to the back when they were ready and if nobody was back there, the crew would go looking for the next diver. Some divers wanted to be first off, or close to first off, all the time so Diver1 and Diver2 figured that they didn't need to rush (or shouldn't have needed to rush). There were still at least 10 divers on the boat and some of them were closer to being ready than Diver1 and Diver2.

edit: yes, the crew got a very generous tip :dork2:

As a DM on a charter, the last thing you want to do is increase stress and anxiety in any diver. Especially new divers! He or she should have offered to lend assistance or give diver1 some space. A few minutes isn't going to throw the schedule off anyway, as most newer divers don't have the greatest air consumption.

I deal with this every time I do a boat dive. My personal approach is to give my divers calm updates about how much time we have before we reach the dive site and "the pool is open." Since people having a good experience directly corresponds to me making more in tips I take a non-rushed approach although I do constantly look for ways to streamline getting people in the water. Interestingly enough a customer with another shop was unholy pissed and very vocal about it on a recent dive charter when she felt rushed, even going so far as to solicit business cards from other shops using the same boat. While I certainly encourage people to get ready in a timely manner I'm simply not willing to rush them and possibly splash someone who either isn't ready or isn't comfortable. While we do of course live in the real world of most boats having a follow-on charter, it still has always worked out.

Now if you're a fellow dive pro and we're doing some dives to stretch ourselves and you're not ready as the boat is getting tied off? Well I'm either now diving solo or you and your kit are going overboard (only if it is a good friend and we're screwing around).

Michael

Just say no!

Though there's nothing wrong with "getting situated" underwater if that's what YOU choose to do (ex. I often stride in holding my fins in my hand, because I don't like walking on the boat wearing them or putting them on at the back - they are just so easily donned in the water, excepting negative descent or rolling entries, of course) - but no one should rush you to go in if you aren't ready.

Not sure about reporting anyone, as it may have just been a communication issue added to the normal newbie stress, perhaps they were just trying to be REALLY encouraging and didn't mean to rush you?

I know I was a MESS on my first boat dive and I was definitely last off the boat - luckily the crew was especially patient that day, helping me with my gear, encouraging me not to be nervous, talking really slowly - LOL....did I mention I was a MESS? Probably would've burst out crying if the crew had been pushing me off the boat in a big hurry.....

In any case - if it happens again, just say you're not ready and they should certainly move on to the next diver!

Now if you're a fellow dive pro and we're doing some dives to stretch ourselves and you're not ready as the boat is getting tied off? Well I'm either now diving solo or you and your kit are going overboard (only if it is a good friend and we're screwing around).

I guess I lied earlier... If it's a good friend I'm dealing with and they aren't ready I will throw them in the water :rofl3:

I guess I lied earlier... If it's a good friend I'm dealing with and they aren't ready I will throw them in the water :rofl3:

LOL what a friend you are :wink:

I don't like to be rushed, either, and I would say something.

But let me ask you this... Having been on a few boats with an OW class, the DMs seem to like to get the certified divers off first so the OW students can take their time. If you don't get off before they start their entries, you may be waiting awhile if there's only one gate. Do you think that could have been the reason they rushed to get others off or were they taking the same tactic with the students?

Was the boat crew in error? Yes. There's no excuse for pressuring divers into entering the water unprepared. It's a black and white safety issue. The crew member quoted in the OPs post was displaying a very poor attitude towards diver safety.

However.... there is a lot that the divers concerned could have done better also. It was a 20 minute journey out to the dive site... so why was the gear not prepared properly in advance? This transit time is when you get your gear sorted, do your dive plan and get yourself focused on the dive. Many novice divers spend the time in 'la-la land' and that frustrates boat crews.

Having prepared kit and done dive planning on the transit, once the '10 minute call' had been given, it should only take 5 minutes to get into your gear, conduct a comprehensive buddy check and enter the water.

I can sympathize that the boat crew were probably exasperated to find 2 divers faffing around and delaying things, when they had ample time to prepare. That said, a dive industry professional should exert some self-discipline to ignore their frustration and always put safety first.

Had the boat crew concerned been more vigilant, he would have been aware of your relative inexperience and the slow speed of your preparations. He could then have anticipated the possible delay. Observing this, he could have been pro-active and assisted/counselled you at an earlier stage to ensure that the schedule for diving went more smoothly and without delay.

It sounds like the boat crew was also in 'la-la land' during the transit... and then waking up and rushing when the site was reached.

It's not good customer service to rush and pressure divers, but neither is it good customer service to allow some divers to faff around and delay the schedule for others.

To the OP: Next time... get on the boat, get your kit set-up and do your dive planning immediately. Then relax. Anticipate arrival on the dive site and start doing your final preparations and checks, allowing plenty of time for delays and problems. It should take no more that 5 minutes to put your pre-prepared kit on and do full buddy checks. Be sat ready, prepared to go, when the boat crew calls for diver entry.

If you have done this, and were ready, then the boat crew was just making assumptions and being annoying...

Last edited:
My first reaction to the OP was to say "hey look I paid my money and I'll get in the water when I'm ready" -But I recently did a dive and I was D2 -my wife was D1 and frankly the DM in my opinion made the best call. --He saw how the wife was going rather green around the gills so it was by far the lesser of the two evils. -The DM had the "luxury " of knowing my wife
Incidently UM yasee I kinda prefer to "tidy up" the octi gauges etc IN the water. What seems to be in a good place on top aint good in the water (ok for me anyways)

I think this is a great question. As to diver 1, that diver should gear up and be ready to go, then assist diver 2 if diver needs assistance, though I am guessing she was fine in setting up her own equipment. Some people take longer to get geared up, so they should start earlier. It is easy to get caught up in the conversations and social aspect of the boat ride out, but tend to business first.
As to the boat crew, they were not acting in the most proper way. I like a crew that wants to get people in the water, especially if it is choppy. It's much more comfortable underwater than on the surface. Also , if they had designated groups (it sounds like there were alot of people on the boat) they should have made it clearer who was going to enter first. Also, where you are on the boat sometimes dictates when you will enter. If you were stationed near the dive platform, you should have expected to enter early so people weren't having to go around you.
Next time, let the boat crew know you don't like to rush, and place your self farther away from the dive deck on boarding. Diving is about having fun, being comfortable, and being safe. I don't see a safety violation here, but comfort and fun were compromised. Have a good dive on your next outing!
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom