Boat Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that go for drysuits with pee valves, too?
Great point!
Etiquette Rule: Don't hog all the shaded real estate on the boat, your skin isn't any more important that the rest of ours!
Isn't that why people bring hats & if warm weather rash guards?

Was thinking the same thing. I've only been diving in Colombia and Roatan and I'm glad I haven't run into so many uptight and angry people.

Don't break any of the rules and you shouldn't run into too many uptight angry people or alternatively, you could dive with other newbies that don't know the rules and have a similar though chaotic experience. Bwahahaaaa

In any event, now you know the rules, you have no excuse, so don't forget to be snarly when other divers don't know them. :rofl3:

We are all uptight and angry because we don't like to be crowded, overly social, fallen on, peed on, or made to work around everybody else's stuff and issues. We're just selfish because we're looking to go diving and need a ride to the site.:wink:

You dive you and let us asocial types quietly enjoy our boat ride and our dives.:yeahbaby:

I usually stick my foot out the side of the boat and go (doggy style? :rolleyes:). No one seems to complain.

This part of the thread was intended to be a joke replay from an older thread wherein someone told of a diver that stood on the deck and just let it go, so now having said that only as an explanation, please people, let's not rehash/reprise it all again. I'm begging you.

This part of the thread was intended to be a joke replay from an older thread wherein someone told of a diver that stood on the deck and just let it go, so now having said that only as an explanation, please people, let's not rehash/reprise it all again. I'm begging you.
I agree. It usually just has to get back to either the snorkel or the pee thread.

Well, Captain Jim, great set of recommendations. But I disagree about eating.

After spending years of dog-fighting in fighter jets, and sailing around the world, it is my educated opinion that a good hearty meal before the excursion helps keep the stomach calm and prevents sea-sickness.

Reactions: Ana
Etiquette Rule: Don't hog all the shaded real estate on the boat, your skin isn't any more important that the rest of ours!
Agree, also that there are hats, long sleeve shirts, long pants, etc. to wear. Don't forget though that some people are very fair skinned and susceptible to skin cancer more than others-- even with minimal exposure.

From a presentation I did for our dive club a while back:

How to Piss Off a Captain

- Pretend you know how to run the boat better
- Argue with him away from the dock about anything to do with the boat, how it's run, or diving
- Clog up the head—especially if there is only one!
- Lie about your certification level and experience
- Strew gear...everywhere
- Get weighted right...eventually...after jumping in
- Surface far, far away from the boat. Twice.
- Putter around with your gear during briefings instead of paying attention
- Let your tanks hit the deck, damaging the boat

...just don't!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom