Trip Report Boat Dives with Dive Bermuda Grotto Bay, June 8th, '22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@drrich2 , one thing I should add is that this was our 6th trip to Bermuda, but my first as an active diver. My wife encouraged me to start diving again after our trip six years ago. So, my attachment is more with the topside as opposed to just diving, though at least one dive trip per visit is now on my list. It’s kinda like Grand Tetons-I’ll probably never dive there, but, man, I have a great time whenever I go.

Appreciate the insights, and they may help other divers researching Bermuda as a possible destination. On ScubaBoard there's a lot of focus on Cozumel, Bonaire, Belize, Roatan, Curacao and the Cayman Islands and Florida Keys, but there are several other places that get sporadic mention but may leave one wondering why that destination isn't one of the 'big 7' I mentioned.

Bermuda, Barbados, St. Vincent, it can be hard to get a good sense of what's going on there.

There are other places that have been discussed enough I think they're easier to research and get a good idea about; St. Croix, Grenada, St. Lucia and maybe Puerto Rico.

St. Croix used to be rarely spoken of here there are now multiple trip reports, and I've watched Curacao 'awareness' (and trip reports) grow mightily on ScubaBoard over the years. I've got an eye out for the next 'hidden gem.'

Bequia

Never been. I had an uncle who spent a lot of time traveling throughout the Caribbean and we used to chat about my diving. Of all the places he had been this was the one that stood out as a place he said I had to go and dive. Just have not made it yet.

I already have Bonaire booked for this coming January, but will do some serious research on Bequia for our winter of ‘24 trip!

Just booked a Feb trip, but it's skiing in the Rockies. Hope to get another dive trip in before winter. Diving RI tomorrow.

It’s been windy over here today. Both passed around Jamestown were busy with sailboats.

Small craft advisory today but with wind out of the north it could be ok at ft w in the cove.

I live in Bermuda and wanted to chip in some info that folks might find useful:

- you could in the past rent just gear from Dive Ops (I do not think this has changed - have my own gear though so didn’t have a need to ask for a while)
- there are two more new active dive operators (apart from the ones mentioned in the original post) on the island, one of them specifically mentions shore dives in their offer
- as someone mentioned, you can rent an electric car and while it is not a big vehicle, it will easily fit assembled alu80 for your shore dive pleasure
- plenty of easy shore dives for those unfamiliar with dive locations here - either go to Elbow Beach or Church Bay and just walk in from the beach and swim to the breakers and sink in beautiful reef canyons and swimthroughs. Elbow beach is huge enough that when you surface, you will still be at the beach, no need to worry about navigation.

Back
Top Bottom