Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vladimir, You bet...Blame it on the military...One man one kit. I always carry my own junk be it at work, fishing, hunting, canoe/camping and or diving. While I understand everybody must make a living I would be so embarrassed having somebody half my weight carrying two tanks as depicted on the picture ...and for only 2 dollars that I will carry my own.
I'd be embarrassed if I couldn't carry it myself, just as I'd be embarrassed if I couldn't set it up myself. But I'm not at all embarrassed to allow and pay somebody else to do it, particularly when their other options for making $2 (going rate is probably $1--I give $5 for the round trip) may be considerably less appealing.

Charlie, believe it or not, some of us have gone to great lengths to design/configure our 'ideal' (custom) scuba gear, gear that is many levels beyond typical rental/vacation diver kit.

I think we're going to need pictures.

Yes, please, give us a glimpse of the leading edge, the stuff we'll be diving in ten years.

But are you talking about liveaboard diving? or at a resort where you keep your gear at a common area, and the "gnomes" just unhook your first stage, attach it to a whip, then put the first stage back on when full?

On a normal vacation, I'm diving off of several boats, over several days, mostly using my own cylinders. I'd rather set my own gear up, swap tanks if necessary between dives, and break my gear down and rinse it afterward..

There ARE different situations.....

I'm not surprised by the reactions on this thread but I'm going to break with the herd here.

On a diving vacation I consider it a luxury to have some "gnomes" around that take care of the gear... filling your tanks back up, rinsing stuff and and making things ready to go for the next dive. It's great.

And no.... It's not because I don't know how to put my stuff together. It's a vacation and if someone is willing to go the extra mile to make my life as easy as possilbe, then I appreciate that effort.

However: if the "gnomes" are not trained in how to do it right then I would have a BIG problem with that. And to be perfectly frank, well trained "gnomes" might very well do a better job of putting gear together than some certified divers. I just got back from Egypt from a dive-camp where there were a group of about 25 divers there from the UK of which about 1/3 had their BCD's loosly attached to the tank on every dive. I think properly trained gnomes can do better than that.

Obviously, the fundamental responsiblity is still the divers'. If you choose to go this route then it *must* be a standard part of your briefing to reinforce before every dive that the diver should double check their gear and do a proper buddy check before getting in the water. They should do so anyway but some people are notoriously sloppy with respect to safety procedures and need to be told before every dive. And for those divers who can't be bothered to double check their gear before a dive, it's proably not wise for you to put it together for them. My *guess* is that the majority of people who say "don't touch my stuff" are probably divers who don't bother doing proper buddy checks.

R..

There ARE different situations.....
For sure ...

When I dive off a boat at home, they don't supply you with anything but a boat and a site briefing. There are no DM's in the water. Nobody but you is expected to set up your gear. People raise eyebrows if the boat crew so much as offers to check that you turned on your tank valve. It's just expected that you do for yourself or you don't dive.

A boat dive in a place like Bonaire you haul and set up your own gear. A crew member may offer to help you with something, but that depends on the boat.

At the place we stayed in Roatan you store your gear in a locker, and the crew took it out, put it on the boat and set it up for you ... by the time you got to the boat, you just checked everything out and made sure they did it to your liking.

On a liveaboard you typically set your gear up once at the beginning of the trip and leave it alone. The crew will remove your first stage (or you will), they'll fill the tank in-place between dives, and replace the first stage (or you will). Your gear remains set up until the trip is over.

As you say ... different situations. Go with the flow ... it's less stress for everyone ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But are you talking about liveaboard diving? or at a resort where you keep your gear at a common area, and the "gnomes" just unhook your first stage, attach it to a whip, then put the first stage back on when full?

The image I had in my mind was liveaboard diving. I think that's what the OP was talking about too.

R..

OP: "I am currently working in a dive centre in the Philippines.."

To say there are different situations in this argument is a huge understatement.

That's why the answer to the question can't be a simple "don't ever touch my gear".

I prefer setting it up myself. Last time a DM did he tightened my "Bio Tank Lock" too much, which could cause strain on the bolt/spring. Aside from that, I don't mind if my tank is set up & switched for me. But I do always check thoroughly that the air is on, of course. Recently I have a shoulder injury, so I haven't minded at all a little help getting the BC on.

Asking us for this advice is bad market research.

Most people here prefer to set up their own gear. Those that wouldn't mind won't likely admit it online.

I agree. All said, as a responsible diver I check my rig out before flopping in regardless of whether I set the kit up or someone else set the kit up. You setting your kit up does not garantee that no one will mess with it before you flop. A good diver checks.
1) Tank bands tight?
2) weight, proper amount, secure?
3) kit clipped in?
4) SMB attached well?
5) Straps and buckles ready to dawn?
6) Air on?
7) Tap the inflator and breathe off both regs while looking at the gauge.

Last time I dove in St. Lucia, the boat crew set up my stuff - even to the point of turning on the air. I turned it back off, drained the LP hose, took the primary off so I could see the condition of the valve seat, then reassembled everything myself. They tried to do the same thing during the SI, but I asked (nicely) that they let me do it for myself "for the practice".

"don't touch my junk" well said and intended. Divers learn set up in OW, if they are occasional resort divers, they should relearn, "look but don't touch" might be added. If they are having a problem, suggest, if they are doing it differently, ask, if they are doing it wrong, advise. But please let them set it up themselves, that's part of the dive and learning curve. Ok they may need a Scuba Review too. Of course, as DM, a careful and watchful eye may prevent a few problems, at least a quick BWRAF before entry, Watching the divers set up on top, may indicate who needs to be more closely watched down below. And speaking of liability, WOW, doing anything outside the limits of training and standards, WILL increase both risk and liability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom