Boat Crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather than negligence on the part of the CG skipper, I'd say it was arrogance. It's been my experience that these skippers get so used to people getting out of their way that they tend to expect it. Still, this is a pretty extreme example.

Last summer, I got pulled over by LE on the Chesapeake Bay for something similar. LE was in a RIB, hauling a55 as usual, and I was crossing and to starboard. I saw him in plenty of time, but made sure the encounter was close enough to get his attention. When he asked me why I did what I did, I said, "Let's go have a talk with your Commander and YOU can explain why YOU failed to give way to a vessel which clearly had the right of way?" As hard as he tried, he could find nothing to cite me with and went away mad.

There is a rule, possibly an unwritten one, that says a pleasure craft should give way to a working vessel. It may just be a Chesapeake thing and it may only exist in my twisted little mind, I don't know. The idea is a boat working a line of crab pots or LE and CG going somewhere has, in a sense, less maneuverability than I, so I should be the one to give way.

The speedboat skipper broke the most important rule of all, though. Always give way to the vessel that is about to run your happy a55 over!

Jim

P.S. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that gives me the heeby-geevies diving anywhere near boat traffic. Does anyone seriously believe that CG skipper would have changed course just because of a little dive flag?

The CG skipper would have run over a diver and dive flag just as fast as he did the speedboat and the speedboat would as well because they don't have a clue and are not looking about as to what might be happening in the world--oblivious.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom