Boat coats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This should work for you. Classic Flotation Coat - Mustang Mustang is not the only manufacture of float coats. Just google float coats.
Unless the OP is looking for a PFD, I think these would be kinda warm. I live in Floater stuff over three seasons, but the Great Lakes weather is a little different than Coz.

I usually just take my everyday shell if it gets chilly, but it's GoreTex and my understanding is that GoreTex gets clogged with constant use in salt and when it does, it loses some of it's waterproofing. The big advantage to GoreTex though is that it's breathable which in a warm, humid client would be a good thing.

If you can fine one used, I'd make a washing a regular thing to keep the salt from clogging the pores in the Gore membrane.

I usually just take my everyday shell if it gets chilly, but it's GoreTex and my understanding is that GoreTex gets clogged with constant use in salt and when it does, it loses some of it's waterproofing. The big advantage to GoreTex though is that it's breathable which in a warm, humid client would be a good thing.

If you can fine one used, I'd make a washing a regular thing to keep the salt from clogging the pores in the Gore membrane.

Goretex needs to be washed so that your sweat, salt, sunscreen etc doesn't degrade the membrane. I had a nice jacket that failed because of this, the membrane gets weak and then cracks.

If you want to maintain breathability then you have to reapply the water repellant coating every time you wash it. Otherwise the outer layer wets out and nothing can evaporate through that.

Breathability is a bit of a joke anyways as you don't get dry when it's really wet! Also there are more breatheable membranes than goretex if that's important to you, but they tend to be less waterproof. It's all a compromise!

Back
Top Bottom