Blurry vision underwater is due to pupil dilation, which can be controlled to see as if wearing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you say that? I had an eye exam last week and that was the report I was given.

The report may have said 20/30 but not 30/20.

Well it could have said 30/20 but that would have been a mistake.

The 20 is always on the bottom. :)

I'm done with this multifocal nonsense and just buy cheap +2.0 glasses in WalMart, $9/pack of 3. I use them both for reading and computer and I see no difference. Long distance wise, my pinholes still work just fine :)

You may not "see" a difference but for the vast majority of the population, over the counter magnifiers are not nearly as effective as rx reading glasses.

Here's the reasons

1- most people do not have exactly the same refraction between their two eyes, so for maximal visual efficiency the lenses in their eyeglasses need to be 2 different strengths. Try it yourself, look at a distant object. Cover- not close- one eye, then the other. Feel free to repeat. Are the objects in exactly the same focus? If so you're one of the lucky few, if not, perhaps you see my point.

2- Many people have astigmatism, which is an "out of roundness" of the cornea, and/or a tilt of the intraocular lens, either of which add a component to a real eyeglass Rx that is not present in OTC magnifiers and enhances the vision.

3- Optics in OTC mags are not of the same quality as Rx Nvs which can cause further vision degradation and distortion.

4- The eyeglass frames are of cheap material and cannot be adjusted properly.

5- Any sort of reading glasses whether it's an OTC magnifier or RX reading glass is not going to give the depth of focus that a progressive multifocal can provide, which becomes more important as we age and our intraocular lens loses flexibility, and after cataract surgery when the intraocular lens has been replace with a rigid silicon lens- although there have been advances in technology and focusable intraocular lens replacements are now available.

If you ever forget your glasses at a restaurant and want to read the menu, make your thumb and index finger into a tight opening and hold it to your eye. You will be amazed at text that would otherwise be unreadable.

Here is a video from a guy with way to much time on his hands explaining it

Here's another method that will accomplish the same thing, and you don't need to use your fingers or even watch a video, and it can work for distance, intermediate, and near vision.

It's called squinting

You are adding nothing to this discussion.

No, a slit occluded with eyelashes will not work the same as a pinhole.

If you squint really hard you will be able to see the restaurant menu just about the same as if you squeeze your eyes with your fingers and you won't look nearly as ridiculous to the other patrons.

Back
Top Bottom