Blurry vision underwater is due to pupil dilation, which can be controlled to see as if wearing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not saying that it can't be done. You can mess with lots of your stuff if you practice for years:
Most people won't have the patience to watch that vid for more than 30 sec. Nobody is going to practice for years when a stupidly simple fix exists.

Wow I didn't know that pupil dilation can be voluntarily controlled. That would help my dark-adapted vision after I got my eyes lazed.
Except that without your pupils letting in enough light you still can't see.

Right. If I got the physics correctly the idea is that your pupil works not as a lens but as a pinhole. And anyone who tried pinhole photography can tell you that you'll need very long exposures.

The eye has the cornea for the front lens and behind that whatever they call the lens that is replaced in cataract surgery. Behind that is the iris which controls the size of the pupil. In other words the exact same system that an old camera had. Reducing the pupil size in low light makes it so you can't see anything.

Well it only needs to be as large as my laser treatment diameter (6.0mm) to eliminate the halos. It's still plenty of light gathering ability. Currently I use Alphagan eyedrops for this effect.

Well it only needs to be as large as my laser treatment diameter (6.0mm) to eliminate the halos. It's still plenty of light gathering ability. Currently I use Alphagan eyedrops for this effect.
6mm is 1/4". If your pupil is that big you are dilated.

Okay guys, this is about the weirdest thread I have ever seen on ScubaBoard. First, you cannot see more clearly with pupil dilation, because (as mentioned above) the depth-of-field is very shallow. You have more light-gathering ability, but reduced focus depth.

Second, while with a great amount of training, you may be able to dialate the pupils, why would you want to. It is precisely because this is reflexive, and not dependent on the mind's control, that we can seamlessly go from very dim light to bright light. But try to reverse that, and you'll find that it takes about 15 minutes to become fully dark adapted. This is because we have both rod and cone cells in our eyes for light perception. The rods are for night vision, and provide very good vision, once adapted, to the night. Cones are color-perception get cells, and function optimally in bright light.
Cone cell - Wikipedia

Third, there is this thing about our eyes being adapted to seeing in air, but not in water, due to the different refractive indexes of the two mediums. The only way that the human eye can see well underwater is to put an air barrier onto the eye; this means a mask or goggles must npbe used. If any other method was available, it would already have been invented. In my high school days, I undertook life guarding training. We learned how to see clearly without a mask or goggles when we had to float almost motionless for 15 minutes. Boredom overtook use, and we learned to use our hands to capture an air bubble around our eye socket/cupped hands and see clearly with our heads underwater. But again, in order for this to work, we needed an eye/air interface.

The idea that controlling eye dilitation can somehow overcome the physics of the eye/water refractive index change is bogus. Dilitation doesn't change this index, only makes the eye even less adapted to water by reducing the depth-of-field focus problems the eye experiences in the water. (The wider the pupil dialates, the narrower the depth of field; but the refractive index of the eye/water interface remains the same.)
Refraction can be seen when looking into a bowl of water. Air has a refractive index of about 1.0003, and water has a refractive index of about 1.3333. If a person looks at a straight object, such as a pencil or straw, which is placed at a slant, partially in the water, the object appears to bend at the water's surface. This is due to the bending of light rays as they move from the water to the air. Refraction - Wikipedia
The only way possible for the human eye to adapt is not to dialate the pupil, but to distort the eyeball itself; however I think the differences are such that such a distortion to change the focal distance would be rather painful and not something any of us would wish to do. Appropriate contact lenses have been developed and use daily underwater, but then you have the other problem of seeing out of the water.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, MSPH

Yeah, but these can be interesting too...

Correct, but you can with severe constriction (miosis)

Been done before: The Evolution of the Pinhole Eyes of Nautiluses
Yes, but the problem with a pinhole is that it simply doesn't let in much light. I made a pinhole camera for the Eclipse this last summer. When viewing the sun, there's plenty of light. But underwater...not so much.
...This can bring about a relatively high resolution, as far as non-lens-containing eyes are concerned...
I kinda like my lenses in my eyes.

SeaRat

My understanding is, they advocate reverse dilation (do not know what they call it--contraction?) so the pupil turns into a pinhole. Which has infinite depth of field but low light gathering power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom