Blue Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papa Steve

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, we planned on doing the Pumpkin Carving weekend with the LDS out at Lake Medina here in San Antonio this weekend. Turns out we had to spend the weekend in Houston so we planned on sneaking out Saturday morning to go down and check out Mammoth Lake. We called Friday afternoon to get the skinny. We were told "no dogs" (bummer) but they finally said we could bring ours if we kept her on a leash or in her crate . . so that was cool. When I asked about the viz I got this long pause and then finally received the answer, "under eight feet" Hmmm? A few more phone calls and we found out that viz was around 2 feet. Time for plan B. . .which was a bummer . . I had wanted to see the C-130.
Turns out my son-in-law was going to be working on his rescue class up in Huntsville at Blue Lagoon so we thought we'd tag along and check the place out.
His class was on the west end of the lagoon, there was another class on the south end. So, my wife and I had the east end to ourselves. Viz was about 25' Outside temp was about 65* and the water temp was 71*. Eventhough the viz was nice there just wasn't a whole lot to see. There were a few, very small fish, some sunken boats and the typical training platforms. Max depth I found was 26'.
Overall, it was one of those dives that I was glad I did so I can say I've "been there, done that" but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make a return trip.

On another note, I did just get my new Hollis ATS BC and this was it's maiden voyage. It was easy to get on and off, was very stable in the water and a very clean design. The only downside is that it doesn't have trim pockets. I'll have to put a weight pocket on the tank strap to get my trim where I want it.

At the end of the day, we did blow some bubbles so it was a good weekend.

I agree, PS, Blue Lagoon was nice for the vis, but it was lacking in anything to see in the training lake. We discovered the other lake prior to leaving (this was a few years back) and it looked like much better vis, although I think it's more shallow. (?) Was really pretty there, we were wishing we had dived that lake instead. Would like to go back sometime, but haven't gone out of my way yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom