Blue Lagoon Vis!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably an African type. Those rift valley lakes have some pretty tough water quality. Personally I've never seen a brown-coloured cichlid, then again there are DOZENS of species.

That's really interesting. I've never dove the Blue Hole (Austin based here), but the Texas Cichlid is supposed to be the northernmost cichlid. Even though these are supposedly exotic cichlids, it would suggest that we might start seeing aquarium released fish show up in some of our lakes. I may have to journey up there and check this out myself. Any contacts at A&M who know about this release?

They are some species of African Cichlid, from the lakes in the Rift Valley. The lakes there are also very high in alkaline content so these fish are perfectly suited for the water in Blue Lagoon. Sure wish they had used some of the more colorful Mbuna's though! I've thought several times of taking the babies mine produce and turning them loose in Lagoon #2!

I'm going to have to keep an eye out in Travis for alien cichlids. We have the same alkaline water and our minimum temperature has to be about the same temp.

drdiver1952:
I'm going to have to keep an eye out in Travis for alien cichlids. We have the same alkaline water and our minimum temperature has to be about the same temp.

Travis pH is nowhere near to that of Blue Lagoon. It's just a hair to the left of 7.0. As for alien cichlids, every once in a while I hear reports about Tilapia. Carp-types, freshwater drum, crappies, and oversized rio grande perch are often confused with exotics. One diver told me once that the lake was full of Jack Dempseys... he'd mistaken all the rio grande's for 'em. Those rock bass are a little weird too.

Didn't quite get that. pH of Blue Lagoon is a little below 7.0?

I know Rift Valley Cichlids do extremely well in unadjusted Austin water. You'd think somebody would be dumping their aquarium in LT. For sure, enough other stuff gets dumped in. One of the strangest things to be surrounded by is a school of stripers. Almost look like grunts.

Yeah, I've heard strange comments about the Texas Cichlids in their breeding colors.

archman:
Travis pH is nowhere near to that of Blue Lagoon. It's just a hair to the left of 7.0. As for alien cichlids, every once in a while I hear reports about Tilapia. Carp-types, freshwater drum, crappies, and oversized rio grande perch are often confused with exotics. One diver told me once that the lake was full of Jack Dempseys... he'd mistaken all the rio grande's for 'em. Those rock bass are a little weird too.

Jester:
Maybe we could all come over and go diving in your aquarium? Waddaya think? Huh? Huh?

LOL....that 120gal tank begins to look pretty good in the winter when my gills are dry! I have used it to test camera equipment! :eyebrow:

What was the water temp? Thinking about going to Blue Lagoon this weekend...

drdiver1952:
Didn't quite get that. pH of Blue Lagoon is a little below 7.0?

Blue Lagoon pH is around 6.2. Travis pH is much higher, but still considered alkaline.

Back
Top Bottom