Blue Lagoon This Weekend (8/2/08)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mswistak

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys and gals

Got my open water dive this weekend at the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville.....I am pumped.

What are the conditions like there recently? Will I need a wet suit?

Congrats Mswistak, I know you wil very much enjoy your diving experience.
I was at Blue Lagoon on Labor Day weekend and it was great. Perfect temp and actually pretty good vis. I used my 3mm shorty and was more than comfortable. I wear my shorty on most all summer dives, no matter what the temp. is unless it gets deeper and colder. Mainly for a little protection from anything I may run into, or that may run into me.

I am sure by now the temp has risen a bit. The temp then was around 82 degrees I believe. But it is all about your own comfort level. You could wear one on your first dive. You could always take it off between dives.

Good luck and I hope your OW goes great.

Thanks.....I normally do not get cold easily but ill grab a shorty at the dive shop to take up there....

I grew up in New England so I know that you can always take clothes off to cool down but its tougher to warm up

I dove Blue Lagoon for four short dives last Saturday. I did not use a wet suit or shorty. It was quite comfortable.

I did Mammoth Lake on Sunday. I needed a full 3mm.

Just goes to show you that the same type of water (fresh, lake, quarry) can require different levels of protection.

I got OW certified at Blue Lagoon 3 weeks ago. The water was 88 degrees, and I was extremely comfortable in a t-shirt. I weigh 90 lbs, and I froze during the last few hours in the pool, but the lagoon was great, even at depth.

I wore my 5 mm at Mammoth Lake 2 weekends ago and was really hot. I only wore it because it was new, and I hadn't bought my shorty yet. I will be at Blue Lagoon this weekend, and I'll be wearing my 3 mm shorty just for protection and comfort (and because it's new!). Maybe I'll see you there! I'll be the one wearing a pink mask and 2/3 of my weight on my back :D

Marcy

Okay after all this discussion I think that an underarmor shirt should suffice

When I dove Blue Lagoon I had a long sleeve UA shirt, UA boxer trunks, and UA zip pants with the lower legs off.

This was the first time that I had worn all three of these in combination. It was actually an experiment to see how well the quick dry capabilities of the material worked.

I was quite pleased with the performance and will continue to dive so under similar conditions.

Unfortunately, when I started wearing individual pieces last year, I was so impressed that I bought some stock when it was $50 per share. Now its only $30. The more people that use their products, the more the stock goes down. I should have spent the money on scuba instead.

We dove BL yesterday for the first time.

Great place, excellent facilities and extremely beautiful setting.

Water was very warm, 84 degrees.

Visibility was about 10'. We only dove lagoon 2 since it is the deepest. It has three boats and a number of dive platforms. The deepest point (that we found) is 29'.

We did giant stride entries off of the floating dock (my son was overjoyed).

Had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom