Blue Lagoon/Temp./Wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I am getting a 3/2mm wetsuit for Christmas. Without getting into what all I DON"T know about air/water temperatures and diving, I will ask the question this way: when in 2008 might the water temps be enjoyable at Blue Lagoon in a 3/2mm?
Thanks for any input,
Spencer

So, I am getting a 3/2mm wetsuit for Christmas. Without getting into what all I DON"T know about air/water temperatures and diving, I will ask the question this way: when in 2008 might the water temps be enjoyable at Blue Lagoon in a 3/2mm?
Thanks for any input,
Spencer

I believe the lowest water temp recommended for most 3mm, full wetsuits is 70 degrees, but it really all depends on you. Me? I'm not diving a 3mil until the water is warm...closer to 80 degrees...but I'm a total wuss when it comes to being cold. :D

Blue Lagoon should hit 70 around end of April and then start warming quickly end of May. I think it's low to mid 60's right now and will continue to drop for awhile.

I believe the lowest water temp recommended for most 3mm, full wetsuits is 70 degrees, but it really all depends on you. Me? I'm not diving a 3mil until the water is warm...closer to 80 degrees...but I'm a total wuss when it comes to being cold. :D

I was at Blue Lagoon last Sunday and the water on the platform was 60 degrees. Several of us were diiving dry and one guy was in a 3 mm with a hood. I know he had to be very uncomfortable. I know from personal experience if I'm down about an hour in 78 degree water in a full 3 mm with a hood I start to get cold.

Well, I would have to say it depends on how much you can tolerate, how long you plan to be underwater and how bad you want to dive.

I dove a 3mm in the winter (53F) because I just really wanted to go diving, this was not one of my more intelligent decisions and I won't do it again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

On the other hand, in 72F I have worn a shorty and been fine, but if I am goining to be in the water for a long time (2-3hrs) I wear a 5/4mm and am very comfortable.

Howeve the Blue Lagoon usually will start to warm up to the 70's in about mid-April.

Right now most of the lakes are at 60F and falling, in my opinion, it's now dry suit season.

Back
Top Bottom