Blue Lagoon Huntsville, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well Becky and I spent Saturday July 1st and 2nd at Blue Lagoon. We wanted to celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary in an unusual manner. :blinking: We got some rain Saturday afternoon with thunder & lighting. The lagoons are really blue. The vis was far from the 50' suggested in the website. However we did have 10-15' of clear water. The entry is an easy walk down to the water. We never made it to 35' but 28' was average. Water temps were 86 degree's. That was a big surprise. I had to take my shorty off. Used just a skin suite. We plan to return again. It is a rough road getting down to the water. Typical rock and dirt. Finding the road too was hard. Off Hwy 247, the site sign was up in a tree, 649 Pinedale. We missed it and ended up 12 miles north. Made our way back to I-45 and went south to exit 123. Hwy 1696. Turned East and followed the road until it ended. Continued on a dirt road about 3 miles until we found the site on the North side of the road. $15.00 fee and did not charge for Becky, non diver. Bring your own food and drinks. I did not see any at the front gate. I brought my own tanks from Dallas because I assumed there would be lots of training going on. Nope, almost empty. I did not see any camping. We stayed in Huntsville at the Comfort Inn. All in all, well worth the trip. I think you would enjoy.
http://www.bluelagoonscuba.com

Dutchman,

Congrats on your anniversary!!

I was up there last week fot two days. LaCuda and I stayed at the same place you did. Not too bad. We dove on site No. 6, which is on Lagoon 2. We enjoyed all the trees and really had a good time. I think we'll be back up there often.

Regards,

Getting there the first time can be a trick! Just remember 1-2-3-4....Take exit #123 off I-45 and go east 4 miles down that dirt road. BL will be on your left.

We haven't been there in a couple of years.

My dive club (Houston Hammerheads) is having a 4th of July picnic there. I can't join them, as my parents are in from Phoenix, but I plan to get out there to dive once I get all my new equipment next week!!!

Congratulations on your anniversary, Dutchman! :D

Never trust the viz ratings on a place's own website. Though I have seen 25' to 30' there. Viz varies between the two lagoons and sometimes alternates which one is best. I've seen it where one is 5' max and the other 20' on the same day. There may be a 35' hole in lagoon #1 but you can't find 30' with a shovel in lagoon #2. I like #2 better because it's usually a bit quieter and shadier.

The best way to come in is from exit 123. I wouldn't call it a dirt or gravel road but there are patches of loose gravel and plenty of potholes.

Their "official" policy is to charge non-divers $10/person, even the chiblins. If they let it slide consider it a bonus, but I wouldn't go there counting on that.

They do allow camping but then it is summer in Texas.

Will be there this thursday-saturday, helping with a class. I have lost count the amount of times I have dove BL...almost always with a class. The best viz I have seen was in March, the viz was 25 ft easy...course no one had been in the lagoon for weeks and it had not rained for a month. Summer viz is 5-15 feet depending on rain and student traffic. :eek:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom