Blue Lagoon AOW check out dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To all, I sure was supprised to have gotten such a good discussion started over training issues. Since I have only been diving 2 years, with only 60 dives, I still feel like a begineer. I am glad to hear the differences that are showing up in the different training cert programs. I do think that the most important things are getting a good instructor, diving within your experience and comfort level. I have been around inctructors from both SSI and PADI as well as others, and although they have to conform to the letter of the law for their respective orgs, their experience, care and concern for the students and the sport is the most valuable thing they have to offer.
For myself, I plan on doing a few practice dives using the dive planning for the deep dive shown in the class, with an instructor along to make sure that I do it right. Just jumping in with the group on a dive trip and following the dive master's pre-planned resort profile might keep me out of trouble, but I still want to learn to do it the proper way to back myself up and have a safe plan of my own.

I think the narcosis factor is overblown a bit. At least from my experience, going to 100' or 120' hasn't created any noticeable "buzz", although I wouldn't go so far as to claim I'm unaffected. It's just not some dramatic effect that makes you forget your skills, especially if you keep in practice.

That's one of the reasons to practice skills regularly, so that things get ingrained deeply and into muscle memory where you don't have to stop and think consciously for most things.

Another factor in deep dive planning is getting used to the idea that NDL can be your limiting factor, not just air. As well as air management. Diving every weekend in 30' ponds, you only need look at your air and you come up when it gets too low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom