Blue Hole "Buddy" needed 9/9, 9/10 or 9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey lweatherall!
I'm going out with another OW class that weekend, but unfortunately won't be able to make it during the week. If you're around on Saturday, come over to the Southeast set of picnic tables and say yo. Be good to meet you.
Kevin

Hey Kevin!

10-4, SE picnic tables on Sat., now I have to take my compass too! <G> I'm looking forward to meeting some folks down there and getting some pics to send to my local buddies.....

FYI, I'll be the guy with the silver Ford Escape, VA license PBRMK1, with the VA diver flag sillouette on the back window

See you on Sat.!

Larry Weatherall
lweatherall@cox.net

I thought you would get some replies! :D

I would not hesitate to do BH solo, but that is kinda a personal decision.

Seems like you will have folks to dive with on Thursday, and Friday, so the question becomes getting air. You still have a bit of time, so if you have issues... post!

Let us know what you think!

Hey Ron,

Yep, you were right! I'm all set to do a afternoon and night dive on Friday and a morning dive on Saturday and air will apparently not be an issue. I'll check in w/ Kevin on Sat. and am looking forward to checking out the BH!

Thanks for your help and hopefully I can return the favor one of these days.

Larry Weatherall
lweatherall@cox.net

the last time I was there (last year July) in the middle of the week, no divers, had the hole to myself and loved it......there was some kids playing in the top 10 feet of the water so I played in the bottom 10 feet. No body told me it was a no no to solo so I did. But I have been doing that for years. I have my buddy hanging on my 80 (13ft) I live in nowhere vill and have no one to dive with

I'll be at Perch lake on the 8th to test some new gear then do the hole on the 9th. I hope to meet you there.

We were at Blue Hole yesterday (Friday) and there was only 1 other diver there before noon. He left and then a couple arrived shortly afterwards. When we left at 3pm there were no other divers! Stella arrived around noon and rented tanks for the couple (I guess they called and made arrangements with her).

Vis was very good... but the water still has a bit of white haze for some reason. Algae is growing all over the entire bottom now, not just on the north corner floor. This really bothers me and I am going to see if I can find out what types of algae (at least 3 different kinds now) and if they harmful. Anybody know a good marine biologist who can run tests? I am willing to take samples and send them.

I shot video on both dives, will try to get it edited this week.

robin:D

You know now that you say something about that......last year all of the crawdays that I seen where dead. Hummm

You know now that you say something about that......last year all of the crawdays that I seen where dead. Hummm

The crawdad die off is normal in the late summer, they come back by November.

Some increase is algae is normal, but I think Robin is concerned that is seems to increased the year over the last few years. The hole is getting a lot of use and the impact of all the activity may be affecting the hole. On top of the the addition of the grate changed the flow of the water and has increased the sediment on the bottom.

yes, the algae that I am seeing is much greater than in past years. I have been diving at BH for 10+ yrs now and I have probably 200 dives there, so I can say for sure that the algae has increased over those 10 yrs. And as Doug said, when they placed the snorkel in the bottom, it redirected the water flow... so it no longer flows across the bottom at all. That is what has caused the silty bottom. Also, the Corps of Eng'rs knocked off several large rocks making the opening bigger a few years ago which has contributed to the algae growth as the entire bottom gets sunlight now.

The crawfish at BH are cyclical, dying off in summer, with greatest numbers are in mid-winter. I have no idea why, as the water temp stays the same.

I did not see a single carp this trip, but I did see about a dozen goldfish/koi.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom