Blue Hole April 24~25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... was pulling a set of doubles (108's with 3500 PSI--the burst disk was begging for mercy) out of the back of my instructor's pickup truck this past Saturday and walking them over to the picnic bench to set up, and I wrenched my hip...

Sorry to hear that John, hope you feel better soon.

You guys be safe driving down in this spring blizzard. Hopefully it will clear before I go next weekend..

Sorry to hear that John, hope you feel better soon.

I have no one to blame but myself. In spite of all sorts of reasonable warnings, I allowed myself to get old.

Hope to see some of the ABQ folks down there! It's been a while since I have dove with Kevin, for example! :shocked2:

We were out there last Sunday. Not bad....

Can't come this weekend, with the Saturday OW class and wifey duties on Sunday. Sorry, it has been awhile.:shakehead: We must remedy that soon!

It was great seeing everyone this weekend. I had "fun" Tech 1 critical skills dives, and got a few non training dives in also.

It was great seeing everyone this weekend. I had "fun" Tech 1 critical skills dives, and got a few non training dives in also.

C'mon Justin, let's go for a "swim". :)

C'mon Justin, let's go for a "swim". :)
Words to be mindful of. For the rest of you, when a UTD instructor invites you and your team mate who happen to be in Tech 1 training to just go for for a swim...what could go wrong? I made a note of 20 or so points I remember.

1. Buddy out of air.
2. You out of air.
3. Buddy rolled off left post in the overhang
4. Buddy from #3 has to shut down right post.
5. See #1
6. Your inflator sticks. Big time.
7. You lost your mask, and your backup mask.
8. Your buddy experiences #7. Right after you.
9. You have to do deco and an air sharing ascent, maskless counting the deco in your head, while passing the deco bottle back and forth.
10. You fail to properly re-open your isolator after a fixable post failure.
11. See #2.
12. Your buddy has the left post rolled off at #11.
13. Buddy breathing the only working reg.
14. You manage to get entangled in line.
15. See #2 or #1.
16. Who needs a rear pull dump? (I use mine all the time...so don't understand this one)
17. Your light fails.
18. Your deco reg free flows.
19. See #2 or #1.
20. Remember this is just going for a swim...

The biggest lesson that I took away from the weekend is ALWAYS do a flow check to verify that your isolator and posts are in the position that you KNOW they should be. Otherwise bad things happen and you and your team mate may end up buddy breathing from a single working reg.

Also, it's not necessary to do a bottle pass with your buddy who is blind, OOG, breathing off your longhose, and your breathing off his deco bottle - that is clipped off to your left side. Although, we did get kudos for a clean "blind" bottle pass. :)

Note to self.... nine failures are a bitch.

... Otherwise bad things happen and you and your team mate may end up buddy breathing from a single working reg.

OR... your buddy may miss that OOA signal and just keep the reg for himself for a while :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom